Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: International Dating...?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Several years ago a fellow at work tried his hand at international romance. He was in his mid 40's at the time, financially comfortable yet socially awkward. He had never been married, never had a serious girlfriend yet wanted a relationship badly. Somehow he got hooked up online with a woman in the Philippines and began a 6 month or so long distance courtship which eventually advanced to the point he asked her to come to the US and marry him. He sent her $3500 for travel expenses.....and she disappeared!
    I appreciate you sharing this cautionary tale. I would not wire someone a huge sum of dinero.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    ULA..........I think you should forget that idea. No matter where you are, there you are. I don't think looking to another continent is going to help. Just keep trying where you are. Would counseling help you with some of your problems? Sometimes it really helps to get a different perspective of our behavior.
    CathyA, if you had been through the total wackiness that I have been dating here in Columbus, you'd look elsewhere too! LOL Want me to share some stories?

You mention some of my "problems." Please tell me what problems of mine you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I know someone who got a "mail order bride" from the Philippines, and she's more like a servant.
    A little more detail on this story would be helpful.

But... here is the deal with me: I clean up after myself (not that there is much to clean). I do my own dang laundry. I work for my own unremarkable living. I pay my bills. I take care of Harlan -- walk him, feed him, take him to the vet, etc. I am not looking for a servant, I am looking for a partner in life -- someone whose quirks compliment my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Another aspect of the human trafficking conundrum. Something else to think about.
    Not everyone in developing countries is being trafficked. This is some kind of paranoia. I know that human trafficking is a real thing.

But most people in the third-world are just working folks, people with fairly regular aspirations, people with their own ideas and goals and plans and values.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What other countries have you spent extensive time in? What other languages do you speak?
    I studied abroad in Costa Rica in college. I lived with a Spanish speaking family. Hablo un poco de Espanol.

Eu falo um poc do Portugues tambem.

But really, I only know English. I'd be willing to learn whatever language my potential partner spoke. That could be a good bonding experience and be fun too.

UA, have you thought about the ancillary consequences of this? If you've given up on finding a good match out of a population of roughly 320,000,000 people, what happens if you still can't find a good match in an expanded pool of 7,000,000,000 or so? That can't be good for your self esteem.
    LOL! At that point I'll become a Buddhist monk!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    CathyA, if you had been through the total wackiness that I have been dating here in Columbus, you'd look elsewhere too! LOL Want me to share some stories?

Yes, share the stories! Convince us!

Why not go to something like this (domestic, but still you'd be meeting people from diff parts of the country):

https://www.atheists.org/eclipse

looks fun!

Yeah, but President Obama's mom had a couple of bad experiences.
    Maybe, but one of those produced an outstanding son and citizen of the world: all in all, not bad.
    I wish my "bad experiences" had been so salubrious.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post

You mention some of my "problems." Please tell me what problems of mine you are referring to.
    Well, it's all the problems you've been talking about......your unhappiness. I wasn't being insulting, if that's how you took it. Talking to a therapist can be very enlightening, if we seem to be stuck in certain patterns of behavior that don't lead to a bit of happiness and don't seem to be working for us.

Thread Information