Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pence to speak at a Pro Life/anti abortion rally.

Pence is an evangelical "christian" who views everything in terms of that. It makes me very nervous to have everything defined in terms of a religion. Yes, I suppose he has every "right" to do so in public office, but there's just so many of us who don't think like he does. I don't think anyone in the Whitehouse has actually done something like this before........and probably for good reason (since so many might disagree with it).

Maybe I just think the man is dangerous and his speaking at the anti-abortion rally bothers me....then again, him speaking anywhere about anything bothers me. I'm sure I'm in-part reacting from having been raised by a father who was a minister, but hated everyone and insisted that everyone was going to hell, who didn't believe what he believed. Pence, like him, is just too inflexible and dogmatic.

I believe Obama has addressed pro-choice groups before...

Should Pence simply not be allowed to speak in public? To anyone? What is he allowed to do, precisely? Does he have to set aside any personal moral/ethical/religious beliefs, any opinions formed from experience and life, before he's allowed to say a word?

Yes. No, not really. I guess he can say anything he wants. I don't have to like it. Like Trump, he's a dangerous man, but in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I'm sure I'm in-part reacting from having been raised by a father who was a minister, but hated everyone and insisted that everyone was going to hell, who didn't believe what he believed. Pence, like him, is just too inflexible and dogmatic.
    Yes, we ALL have our personal filters.. I'm sorry your father was such a negative force in your life. "Religion" certainly has its share of inflexible, dogmatic adherents. Often "God" is a strong reflection of our upbringing--maybe that's why we refer to God as "God the father." I'm thankful for those religious people who walk the walk and bring joy and hope.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yes. No, not really. I guess he can say anything he wants. I don't have to like it. Like Trump, he's a dangerous man, but in a different way.
    Thank you for seeing that just because you dont like what he has to say doesnt mean he should not say it. That is a pretty big idea, free speech, and that goes for free spech about religious topics.

I can see where one might want a leader to be more temperate in hot button issues, but I cant see how our leaders can avoid them, either. I dont see any leader, current or future, speaking eloquently enough to bridge the gap between prolife and anti-prolife, so I dont expect a leader to do that. Didnt the
    annoited one, President Barak Obama, even say that controversy was "above his pay grade" and shrug his shoulders about it?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Thank you for seeing that just because you dont like what he has to say doesnt mean he should not say it. That is a pretty big idea, free speech, and that goes for free spech about religious topics.

... Didnt the annoited one, President Barak Obama, even say that controversy was "above his pay grade" and shrug his shoulders about it?
    President Obama wasn't "anointed," as it might be said Trump was--by the Electoral College, having lost the popular vote. He was elected, fairly, by a good margin. Twice. And he served the country well without saber-rattling or hint of scandal, for eight years. As I've said before, he was better than we deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    President Obama wasn't "anointed," as it might be said Trump was--by the Electoral College, having lost the popular vote. He was elected, fairly, by a good margin. Twice. And he served the country well without saber-rattling or hint of scandal, for eight years. As I've said before, he was better than we deserved.
    Good post, Jane.

Pence is a "Christian" hypocrite who picks and chooses which parts of the Bible he likes. He's all about the embryos, but not so much about helping real children who might be called "post born," having cut various programs designed to help families in Indiana. His hatred of gays must come from Leviticus, much quoted by his ilk--with its laughable rules about touching pigskin and wearing clothes made of two fibers, because Jesus never said a word about homosexuality. And what about the money-changers? They've been invited into the inner sanctum, rather than being thrown out of the temple. So much posturing, so little actual character.

Thanks Jane. For some reason, I'm unable to say things the way I want, but you did it for me.

Thanks Jane. For some reason, I'm unable to say things the way I want, but you did it for me.
    I agree that Jane nailed it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information