Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLR "manual" cameras

SLR "manual" cameras

My husband and I were talking about our cameras yesterday while out hiking. We don't use our old SLR (film) cameras anymore, but in the case of mine, it's practically new. And it's not a cheapo camera, either; and I have several lenses. I've kept it all til now because I loved using it (nostalgia, I guess). But with the scarcity of processors, the ease and $-saving aspects, there's no reason to hang onto them.

Does anyone know of a recycling process or good place to donate "manual" cameras? Hate to just send them to Goodwill; I've seen many languishing on their shelves.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Would a local high school or art institute want it?

There's still a bit of an Ebay market for such things.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    There's still a bit of an Ebay market for such things.
    And do be cognizant of the fact that that a lot of the old Nikon SLR lenses fit the newer digital cameras, so you may be able to use them.

Do you have a camera store close by? They could probably help determine if it is worth anything and might even make an offer. Some of the more decent SLR lenses still have some value. There are still a few film hold-outs and collectors so eBay or Craig's list might work. I am a reformed camera geek and there is a place called KEH which you could look up. They make offers on used camera gear and have a reputation for being fair.

DH is a camera geek still in "shedding" mode. He has a vast array of old film cameras and they were a pain in the bee-hiney to pack when we moved recently - 20 boxes or more of them as he could not let go just yet. Even now, he has pulled out a few to sit on shelves so he can admire. He would give you the same advice as Rogar. You might want to determine their collectible value first (which should be easy enough by checking sold acutions on ebay), and then just try to sell on craigslist for whatever you can get.

Many High Schools and Colleges still offer photography and need 35 mm cameras and lenses for the classes. I had given mine away when low and behold one of my sons signed up for the High School class. So I went on a mad search to find another that was suitable for the projects. Found a friend in Omaha who sent me her's.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Many High Schools and Colleges still offer photography and need 35 mm cameras and lenses for the classes. I had given mine away when low and behold one of my sons signed up for the High School class. So I went on a mad search to find another that was suitable for the projects. Found a friend in Omaha who sent me her's.
    Yes! I was thrilled when my sister in law asked to borrow DH's old 35 mm camera to use in her son's photography class. Finally, a use for this shelf sitting thing. It never came back to us, am I am doubly thrilled by that! dH does not give up old equipment.

Really stupid question, where do you buy film anymore?
    Several of our camera stores and film development houses closed (or closed to the public, they may do mail in/specialty business).

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Really stupid question, where do you buy film anymore?
    Several of our camera stores and film development houses closed (or closed to the public, they may do mail in/specialty business).
    We've got a little camera store that still sells some film...it could just be really old stock. I know the teacher for my son's class ordered on-line and Amazon sells it. I was glad that his class learned dark room skills and developing their own film and playing with exposures especially in black and white. They learned a lot. I worked in a dark room in the late 80's...can still smell those chemicals.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information