Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foreign language online teaching program?

Foreign language online teaching program?

I'm wanting to brush up on my German. I studied it in school and spent a summer working there when I was younger, and got pretty proficient with it. But I've gotten rusty. Mein Deutsch is ganz schlecht geworden!
    For awhile, all I heard about was Rosetta Stone. But I don't know much about any of those programs now. Any suggestions?

DUOLINGO!!!!!!!!!!
    It's free and it's wonderful. DH is doing German right now, and I am doing Swedish and reupping my Spanish.

You only hear about Rosetta Stone programs because they are relentlessly advertised.

Other peograms are fine, just as good.

Check with your local library. The library system where I live provides FREE on line and instructional videos/tapes, etc. I know there are a few different program options as well. Sehr gut!

What about visiting foreign sites, or things like Youtube and seeing if you can understand and pick up accents etc? Doesn't help with practice, but could help understanding structure if been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    DUOLINGO!!!!!!!!!!
    It's free and it's wonderful. DH is doing German right now, and I am doing Swedish and reupping my Spanish.
    +1

You are so right, Tybee! It's great. I highly recommend it as well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Check with your local library. The library system where I live provides FREE on line and instructional videos/tapes, etc. I know there are a few different program options as well. Sehr gut!
    My library has Mango, which covers 60 languages.

I've been using Duolingo for Spanish. I started on Spanish two years ago with a program called Fluenz, which took me about 10 months to get through (150 lessons). I liked it a lot, though it wasn't free (about $350).

I also got the Pimsleur audio course from the library. I didn't like it very much, but did the entire program because it was free and is ideal for the car. I wouldn't recommend buying it, though, unless you are a completely aural learner (which most adults are not).

Now I'm using Duolingo. It's essentially a flashcard system, but as such it's pretty good. I figure it's at least keeping me from losing ground.

The problem I've run into is that all the interactive programs available stop at the intermediate level. I think I've got the basic stuff down now, but I'm having a hard time moving forward. I may have to break down and take an actual class. Or maybe take an immersion course in Mexico. I looked into a few, and they are remarkably cheap.

Thanks everyone. I will check out Duolingo.

I took German in high school and minored in it in college, but there was nothing as good as going to Germany and working to really learn it! It was a bit difficult at first, but I progressed fairly quickly. I got to the point that I was dreaming in German. And one day, an English person staying in the hotel I was a maid in spoke to me, and I had trouble speaking English. That was a cool feeling! But......I'm really rusty now and would like to get it back again.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    DUOLINGO!!!!!!!!!!
    It is great for refreshing my French
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .