Thread: recycling olive oil bottles

recycling olive oil bottles

I want to recycle olive oil bottles, but I never feel like I get all the olive oil out of them before I do, and I understand that's essential for animals' safety.

Can anyone tell me how you get olive oil out of those bottles?
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

I'm not quite sure I understand your concern for animals. I just turn mine upside down for awhile, to get as much as the oil out as possible, then rinse them out with soapy water.

oh please do not lay another burden one me for recycling. ha ha!

The bottles I put out for recycling are as clean as I'm willing to make them. How's about that for a cleanliness standard.

Which animals are you referring to, lark?

we wash and refill ours -- it's a nice deal.

I just recall when I first heard about recycling that we were to clean all the food out of jars and cans to keep animals from being attracted to recycling destinations, where the animals might be hurt--I forget the nature of the hurt. I gather this is a different understanding from what you all have.
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Just rinse the bottles out with hot soapy water, and it should be fine larknm.

I just turn the bottles upside down for a bit, to get the last bits of usable oil out of them, then I just pry off the little plastic cap that keeps too much from coming out at one time, and wash the bottle when I do the dishes, in hot, sudsy water, rinse and put with the recycling stuff.

I think what they are talking about is that too many people just toss the cans and jars into the recycle bin without washing them, so that food is still inside, and I can see that would be a danger to animals attracted to the stuff (I picture a little squirrel with his paw stuck down the top of the bottle, etc.).

Since we often have to keep our recyclables in bags in the storage compartments of the motorhome until we find a place to recycle, we just clean them as a matter of course. And when you do them at the same time you do dishes, doesn't really use any more soap or water and only a tiny amount of time.

Thread Information