Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander in chief

Waiting for better information is a time-honored excuse for inaction in many fields. But at some point, you need to pull the trigger.

There are people who will second-guess Trump. There are also people who will second-guess Alexander, Caesar and Napoleon.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    If this is true ...?
    Are you calling me a liar?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What is "the Socratic Method"?
    A method handed down to us from classical antiquity that allows us to criticize others while advancing no ideas of our own.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    But OTOH,

“The decision was made ... to leave it to the incoming administration, partly in the hope that more and better intelligence could be collected,” that official said."
    I read this as "because if we wait, in the fullness of time there will be more documents/datas/interesting people at the site..."

The original news story "quotes" unnamed military sources. Who are close enough to this presumably-quite-sensitive operation to know details about the planning and command phases of it. Yet who violated their duty, in order to leak *just the right sort of stuff* needed for a handy clickbait article. And so soon after the operation. It doesn't seem plausible.

I read this as "because if we wait, in the fullness of time there will be more documents/datas/interesting people at the site..."

The original news story "quotes" unnamed military sources. Who are close enough to this presumably-quite-sensitive operation to know details about the planning and command phases of it. Yet who violated their duty, in order to leak *just the right sort of stuff* needed for a handy clickbait article. And so soon after the operation. It doesn't seem plausible.
    Yes, I read it the same way. It leaves open to interpretation whether or not they have been able to collect the information needed in the two weeks they've had since the new administration began. I'm giving Trump a pass on this one for the moment. Plus he made that spontaneous move to visit the family of the dead SEAL.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Only if that is really Karl Marx dressed up as you.

In any case, great pic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    The way he is acting, I think he wants to go to war. With whom, I have no idea. And probably neither does he.

But the angry, violent language he uses. The desire for tanks and other military vehicles at his inauguration parade. Wanting a flyover of many aircraft at the inauguration. His reportedly belligerent language to the Mexican president. And now, this reportedly half-cocked mission.

His need to win everything. In his eyes, you either win, or you loose. There is no middle ground, no detente, no consensus, no compromise. And he has to win. All the time. Always.

It's like he *has* to throw his power around, regardless of the consequences. Everyone must be looking at him, praising him, agreeing with him. And if you don't, he will squash you. Whether you are a person, a corporation, or a country.

It's like he's a kid, playing at war. But with far more deadly results.

I hope I'm wrong; I really do.
    Rest assured it's not just you - this is very much how Trump comes across to me, too. And I also worry about war after his behavior of being in office such a short time - two weeks I think as of today. I hope we are both wrong! Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The man in the middle is you, Bae? Just curious as we have had some interesting back and forths over the years, no? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The man in the middle is you, Bae? Just curious as we have had some interesting back and forths over the years, no? Rob
    The man in the middle is John O. Brennan.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    A method handed down to us from classical antiquity that allows us to criticize others while advancing no ideas of our own.
    RE: Socratic Method
    At times, others already answer so there is no need to elaborate.

Thread Information