Thread: Did the SB Commercials Seem Militarized?

Did the SB Commercials Seem Militarized?

We were watching on the net, not broadcast, so I don't know if the commercials were different, but... DW and I both had the feeling that there were a lot of commercials featuring military style operations, first person shooter games and similar themes compared to years past. Granted there were countless of plugs for FOX's new "24" that featured helicopters everywhere and things blowing up so that probably tilted the scales. Considering everything else going on in the world right now we're probably a little over sensitized, but it just felt like we saw more tanks and explosions and less puppies this year so I was curious if anyone else had the same impression.
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

I dont know about militarization, but I do want to point out that the
    Anheuser-Busch ad about the foundrs of the beer was in the can long before President Trump's executive order about immigration from 7 countries. It was not meant as a political statement about immigrants.

My opinion is that the gaming commercials and most of the movie commercials were very "military" and dark.

But I thought there were a fair number of ads with a "social responsibility" message: mostly the car companies--the girl in the boxcar race, the celebrity yearbook photos that said to be yourself or something along those lines.. The "eco-warrior" Kia commercial.

In fact, my DH said that the Anheuser-Busch commercial was going to be controversial because it pointed out how immigrants work hard against many obstacles and provide innovation. Apparently it was a "slap in the face" to Trump and his immigration ban--which I don't get at all. DH thought it was "terrible" that Anheuser-Busch didn't pull it. I thought it was a great commercial.

(haha, I started this post before an interview and just finished when I hung up a minute ago and posted it.. hadn't seen iris lilies post)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bread and circuses, bae? I actually made a comment during the game about our modern day gladiators. Its difficult for me to see the NFL in any other way.

On a different note, well before the game DW stated that she would know the whole world was rigged if the patriots won on the last play of the game. Hmmmm...
    "Back when I was a young boy all my aunts and uncles would poke me in the ribs at weddings saying your next! Your next! They stopped doing all that crap when I started doing it to them... at funerals!"

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post

In fact, my DH said that the Anheuser-Busch commercial was going to be controversial because it pointed out how immigrants work hard against many obstacles and provide innovation. Apparently it was a "slap in the face" to Trump and his immigration ban--which I don't get at all. DH thought it was "terrible" that Anheuser-Busch didn't pull it. I thought it was a great commercial.
    What a depressing state of affairs we're in when a commercial about immigrants succeeding can seem controversial to a country where the vast majority of citizens are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    What a depressing state of affairs we're in when a commercial about immigrants succeeding can seem controversial to a country where the vast majority of citizens are either immigrants or descendants of immigrants.
    I am tired of the constant bleat "Immigrants are Wonderful!" in recent days. It isnt the content of the message, it is the
    1) repetition
    2) tone of lecturing

that I find tiresome. I guess I listen to too much NPR. Rush is on in ten minutes so he will provide a needed break.

Catherine's DH may be reacting to the same things I am. Thats why i spoke up about the AB ad, it was completed long before mainstream media felt the need to lecture us all on the worth of i,migration in America, it is just a nice little ad about Auggie Busch.

I'm not sure there is an easy solution with immigration (and needless to say I don't think the solution is: "build a wall!"). I mean what do you do if people do think their jobs are being taken by immigrants etc.? But hey if you fail to get decent work, eh there are no commercials to address that, and in fact who cares because you have no disposable income to spend on whatever stuff our commercials are selling then anyway.
    Trees don't grow on money

I turned to my hubs at one point and said, "Seems like the commercials are so VIOLENT!" He just shrugged as he'd slept through the first half of the game and all of the halftime performance. But it seems like all the movie trailers were violent, and that seemed like a huge part of the commercial time apart from the 84 Lumber and its ilk.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information