Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gunsmoke

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I can't remember all the ones I used to watch. I do remember "The Texan" and another one that had a guy in it who always ordered a sarsaparilla in the saloon.....Was that "Sugarfoot"? Oh, there was "Have Gun Will Travel", but I didn't care for the main character. And I don't think that one had any comic relief in it. haha
    Yes, that was Sugarfoot who always ordered sarsaparilla, and you didn't like Paladin? He was the coolest gunfighter in two decades of TV westerns.

If you like comic relief, there was Maverick which was one of my all time favorites and then Laredo, a story of 3 Texas Rangers which is on my personal top 10 list. Some of the others would include The Rebel, Laramie, Cimarron Strip, The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok and the much more recent Deadwood.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes, that was Sugarfoot who always ordered sarsaparilla, and you didn't like Paladin? He was the coolest gunfighter in two decades of TV westerns.

If you like comic relief, there was Maverick which was one of my all time favorites and then Laredo, a story of 3 Texas Rangers which is on my personal top 10 list. Some of the others would include The Rebel, Laramie, Cimarron Strip, The Adventures of Wild Bill Hickok and the much more recent Deadwood.
    Oh, the show was good, I just didn't like the actor. Maybe he reminded me too much of my father. haha

I've been enjoying the 1/2 hour episodes of Gunsmoke, but many of them are pretty sad.

DH and I were talking about player pianos and wondered if they really had them in saloons back then. I read that they were invented by a Frenchman around 1865. I think Gunsmoke supposedly took place around 1870s (?)

Anyhow.....one day I noticed that there was piano playing going on in the Longbranch Saloon, but I never saw a piano in there or anyone playing one. On an episode last week, I noticed it playing in the background (assumed it was a player piano), and a bad guy walked into the Longbranch. Everybody went silent..........and the piano stopped too. I had to laugh, since it was probably supposed to be a player piano. How did that piano know to stop? hahaha

Being a little bit of a western movie and TV I've dabbled in few details. Most of what I've seen says that cowboy hats and gunslingers are mostly the invention of Hollywood. Other than a few famous gun fights like the OK corral, gun violence was typically a bar or alley dispute where someone pulls a gun, hardly ever the street standoff or quick draw. Other than drovers most cowboys wore derbys (a fact I might take small issue with). And in the rare instance when someone was carrying a pistol it was generally tucked in the waist rather than in a holster. Settlers and ranchers often didn't even own a pistol but most houses had a rifle and or shotgun, unlike Bonanza or The Big Valley myth. The distinction between lawman and criminal were often not distinct. Least that's what the internet claims.

I've noticed that Miss Kitty sure drinks a lot of beer.
    Last edited by Rogar; 3-3-17 at 2:44pm.

Yeah, I figured that many people couldn't be getting killed everyday, in just one town. haha And Yes.......Miss Kitty should cut back a bit. Plus, she's always giving away free drinks......how can she afford that?
    And I'm always amazed at how many times people shoot at the Marshall, and he never gets hit. haha

And just remember, Cathy, horses are far more than transportation, they are the finest animals on the planet.