Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: February Purge

February Purge

I'm aiming to give away at least 100 things a month this year. My 5-year-old picked out two things to hand down to a 2-year-old we know, so that's two so far this month.

Although I not much of a keeper or collector of "things", I've decided that this year when I open a cupboard or drawer, I really look at what is in it. I have a box in my spare room meant for filling. At this point it is in fact nearly full of odds n' ends.

3 flower vases-where do these come from? DH does not buy me flowers. (and I even kept 1)
    1 curling iron
    1 table runner
    1 candle holder
    1 set of queen sheets
    1 hardback book (I'm rereading the books I kept my last purge).
    3 kitchen utensils

The box is full so time to head to the trunk for my next drive-by at the thrift store.

I handed off a trunk full of donations yesterday, so starting a new pile. It goes slowly. My kitchen gadget collection is growing apace though, and I have a kitchen the size of a phone booth (remember those?) It's like Jenga to cook anything around here.

I think I am maybe doing this by default. There is something about February that calls me to clear out, clean up, and pare down.

I managed to put eight items from the kitchen into the donate box yesterday, including a useless basket (really useless and not even attractive), two dollar store dishes that served their purpose and are no longer useful (or pretty), and a few more items of the like. I was watching decluttering videos yesterday while in the kitchen, so that was motivating. I am a little sick with a cold, and so not going to the gym. My DH thinks watching decluttering videos and declutterinig are both a little crazy. He might be correct. We do not live in a disorganized, chaotic mess but I still feel a little stuck and overwhelmed with stuff. It does depend on my mood, I have to admit.

I haven't done a full KonMari on my house. My clothes are done and they stay pretty well managed. Books require frequent purging. Household and especially kitchen stuff gets overwhelming because the house is really tiny. I think I have TWO phone booths in my kitchen, Jane, but I feel you.

I love to be able to come here for a bit of inspiration (but maybe you're all compulsive declutterers and therefore crazy, too.....) hehehe

I'm rapidly sewing through "gifted" quilting fabric and pieces I've received in the mailbox over the last year. Does that count?

I'm a quilter and donate most of my work to local charity.

I went through my cupboards where I keep my tupperware and my pans yesterday and today and found about 20 old pans and pieces of tupperware to give away, recycle, or throw out. New total for the month: 22.

Today I shredded tax returns and 1099 copies from 1993-2010. Gosh, it's sickening to see the amount of interest I was getting---I'd be rich if it had stayed so high.

I took 27 items to Goodwill yesterday. New total for month: 49.

Quote Originally Posted by ejchase View Post
    I took 27 items to Goodwill yesterday. New total for month: 49.
    good job, wow! You are going to meet your monthly goal.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-14-17 at 3:22pm.

I have early spring fever and have 2 bags to toss in the dumpster. I tend to stay up late thinking about things and start to declutter. The sun is shining and by the weekend, it will be warmer - so more will go out the door.

Thread Information