Thread: 4 days!

4 days!

I got the paperwork from my staff and last day is Tuesday, so 4 more work days. I was in a training today about how to do good feedback, and chatted with the HR director about how I talked to this staff. She thought I did the best I could and that some people are not a good fit. I feel supported with that, and by my supervisor.

So he didn't know what to write, couldn't spell offering or the name of the school he has been at all year (yeah he got a school t-shirt) and still says that he was doing a good job but that the constant disrespect from his co-workers was the problem. He thinks that the children try to climb on him because his energy is so calm, not that he does not tell them no. I am going to learn from this, because in almost any case you can learn something, and look for different things in the interview process. We are all short staffed at our sites, so being too picky isn't always an option, but I can being a better hiring manager.

Zoe, I think a more important lesson is that once someone shows you who he is, you need to believe him, and terminate him.

I dont get a sense that you were going to fire him, he is the ne who left the job. He is not a "good fit" because he would be a marginal employee even in a situation that is best siuted for him (probably something with a lot of repetition, little variation. )

He did you a big favor by leaving.

Oh yeah, I was in the process of getting him out but I know I am more gentle than I could have been. I needed to have a history of write-ups and he was going to get one the day he turned in his notice, I guess I should ask if I still should have that in his file in case he wants to try and get a new job with us? Since he is adamant that the disrespect from coworkers is the issue rather than the errors he made who knows what he will do next. A good reminder to check in with HR, officially he could work in the district but I would not recommend him for anything but facilities.

Yes, Zoe keep the paper work!

Be careful before you add documentation after the fact. I'd run it all by HR and not add anything unless they tell you that you must do so.
    Last edited by Tybee; 2-9-17 at 12:59pm.

I did check in. I should not do the write up, but if I am called I can say that I would not recommend him for a position with children. So glad that my hands are not too legally tied up, I would hate to pass him onto someone else because I couldn't say anything.

Thread Information