Thread: Anyone ever have an upper endoscopy?

Anyone ever have an upper endoscopy?

I have IBS and have also had diverticulitis in the past. My GI tract has been going nuts..........tons of churning, gas and pain all along my colon. But the worst is pain across my back.
    I had an upper endoscopy yesterday. Doc said I had a small red spot in my stomach, and he took a biopsy. He said the results would take about 5 days. But he said the area was small and everything else looked good......which really surprised me, considering the symptoms I'm having. Oh....and they inject some air in the stomach, to get a better look.
    The procedure was fine.......totally painless. I Love propofol!

Anyhow.......today I'm having tons more GI symptoms and much more pain across my back. I have a call into the GI office.......but I'm thinking this is probably normal. He just didn't mention it to me.

Anyone have this procedure and have pain/cramps for a few days?

The only "scopy" I've ever had was a laparoscopic tubal ligation. I'm hoping to go to my grave without any more "procedures."

I had a (self-diagnosed) gall bladder attack years ago that was horribly painful, and the symptoms included pain across my back. Fortunately it self-resolved after a few days of hell. Apparently, it's genetic, as a sibling and my grandmother both had them. I suppose you've ruled that out.

My wife had several of those a couple years ago, when they were diagnosing some issues she had. She reported soreness of the sort you describe for some time afterwards.

The air they put in you has to slowly come out through your tissues and this causes pain.

Thanks everyone. I talked to 2 people at the G.I. office and they said "no, we've never heard of that", before they finally asked the doc and he said it was normal. I wish he'd tell his staff that!
    What concerned me is that I've been having a lot of back pain with this even before the scope, and I feared it was getting worse. But since I know it's a potential side-effect, I won't run to the E.R.
    I'm discovering that I get a lot of back pain with stomach issues. Actually, when I was in labor my pain was all in my back. So I guess it's a popular place for my pains.

Jane.......no, I haven't ruled out the gallbladder yet. With my IBS, my entire GI tract is taking turns hurting. Sometimes it IS the upper right side, but it subsides there and goes somewhere else. But I will keep it on the short list!

Hello, a relative underwent an upper endoscopy before. As far as I have observed her she did not feel pain or discomfort after the procedure. In case, there is, I heard from some that it also disappear by burping.

I had that...when I came around after the end of the procedure, I honestly believed I'd fallen off the gurney while I was "under," my shoulder hurt so much! Turns out it was gas/air they'd put in to "inflate" me that was migrating around my body. Hurt like heck, but they gave me some medicine for it and the pain went away immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I had that...when I came around after the end of the procedure, I honestly believed I'd fallen off the gurney while I was "under," my shoulder hurt so much! Turns out it was gas/air they'd put in to "inflate" me that was migrating around my body. Hurt like heck, but they gave me some medicine for it and the pain went away immediately.
    They warned me about the inflation factor when I had my tubal ligation, so the pain--which I remember being mostly in my shoulders, for some reason--wasn't worrisome. I don't think I took any medication for it, other than maybe aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    They warned me about the inflation factor when I had my tubal ligation, so the pain--which I remember being mostly in my shoulders, for some reason--wasn't worrisome. I don't think I took any medication for it, other than maybe aspirin.
    I'm guessing it wasn't worrisome because you were forewarned. I suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax over 30 years ago. The signs were shortness of breath and extreme pain in my left shoulder area which was caused by the air escaping from the lung. I thought I was having a massive heart attack, at 30 years of age!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm guessing it wasn't worrisome because you were forewarned. I suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax over 30 years ago. The signs were shortness of breath and extreme pain in my left shoulder area which was caused by the air escaping from the lung. I thought I was having a massive heart attack, at 30 years of age!
    That would have scared me, too. Certainly, you should be warned of common postoperative symptoms of discomfort, etc.

Thread Information