Thread: 13 leadership skills

13 leadership skills

Found this great article on 13 leaderships skills that you need today but didn't 10 years ago. It is music to my heart!

http://www3.forbes.com/leadership/13...-essential/14/

Let's see if linking works this time,

In any case very honestly it fits me MUCH more than older models of leadership. It includes authenticity, collaboration, navigation of ambiguity, etc. Collaboration is my thing. My first way of working with people, even my staff, is to ask questions. What are your goals, what are you good at, what is a struggle. When I had City Year for 2 years at my school we totally did that, we needed attendance data but not the same way, so we found ways to track attendance that met both our needs, also did family nights, after school clubs, etc. Each time we talked through what both of us needed. Same with the PTO, the school admin, summer camp collaborations, meditation/buddhist groups.

The entire article is much better than the leadership style of just badgering people into doing what you want/need because they need the job. For years when I have shared something that came up with my staff my colleagues response is generally 'write them up for insubordination' or a similar response. Geez, there is a place for that but I have built great teams by NOT doing that. And I realize it takes something different, a strength or style or maturity, to even be capable of sitting with people's anger or frustration at work.

Writing someone up is the last thing you should do. It just creates hard feelings and accomplishes nothing. Glad people are recognizing there are better ways to lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Writing someone up is the last thing you should do. It just creates hard feelings and accomplishes nothing. Glad people are recognizing there are better ways to lead.
    That is an effective tool to get an employee's attention, that is, IF the employee cares about doing a good job.

It is ineffective for employees who don't care or who do not have the capacity to meet an employment standard, but then it becomes necessary documentation to move the employee out.

I agree that there are times where it is appropriate to use it. But it should be a last resort and not a first move.

all good leaders require a number to help them positively interact with employees or team members.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tanyapri.../#731c16ff3564
    https://www.thebalance.com/top-leade...skills-2063782

Thread Information