Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zero (or minimal) waste

I would think wax paper - definitely for me because I would use it to start the woodstove or a barrel firing.

the zero waste lady says to take your own glass jar (dish?) for meat.

Oh, and Tybee, I am definitely going to slide some of this in next year when I am teaching "farm Fridays" but I share lot with the kids in general conversation. I subverted another teacher's "service project" when I subbed a few weeks ago. The kids were supposed to make " don't litter" posters and hang them around school, then pick up trash on the playground. Instead I took them on a scavenger hunt and we recorded all the locations of all the types of recycling available in the building and added this to the posters. I suggested they should pick up trash on the pkayground whenever they see it.

So, update, it has been 4 months since I last posted, plus another 12 days without trash service. Savings $99 (they did refund my $25 for March minus a $1 processing fee)

I have not had access to the school trash cans since May, but I have been able to keep up with the household trash and reduce the construction trash pile (two full former curbside cans, now 1.75) using the grocery store/gas drop method. I also found a recycling drop convenient to my grocery store to use during the months I don't drive to school. My family is not being very helpful as they continue to buy processed food in packaging and meat in styrofoam trays. The trade off is help with the shopping....

I currently have have part of a broken plastic shelf I need to dispose of. Also my friend visited this weekend and she broke her bike rack and left it in my yard because it wouldn't fit in her car with the bikes. She said she would come back for it if she can get a replacement part. (She lives 4.5 hours away) I told her she had to come back for it anyway because I had no way to get rid of it, but I don't think she will. I am thinking that I will toss those things into the school dumpster during set up week, because I usually rescue a lot of stuff from the school dumpster during set up week, and there is so much random stuff going in no one will really notice or care.

Thread Information