Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Evacuations In California

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    "The whole planet is a bit sketchy..." is not very comforting... but it is real. No wonder there is so much stress in the world- we really are in danger. it was less stressful when most were blissfully ignorant of all the dangers.
    Count me in the basket of blissfully ignorant. Today, it is well with my soul. I just pretend it is 1969 and Broadway Joe Namath just led the New York Jets to a Super Bowl win. Born to an Hungarian immigrant family working in the steel mills of Western Pennsylvania became an iconic figure in Professional Football. Wanted to play baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates but his mom wanted him to get a college education. Too bad. Played for Alabama under Bear Bryant......I can still hear my mom and dad talking about Joe Willie....that's what they called him......

Yes, blissfully ignorant, thank you. And now deplorable.

I think there are so many things that contribute to feeling like it's all falling apart. Probably the biggest thing is the internet. We learn about everyone else's tragedies. Also, science has progressed and can warn us of all sorts of potential catastrophies. Then there are the different laws/expectations in different countries about how we should all be alike.......or all be different.
    I would love to be blissfully ignorant, I suppose. I seem to be hardwired to always be aware of what's going on everywhere. No wonder I'm in pain all the time.......physically and mentally.
    And of course, the current political environment makes everything more scary.

Back to the Evacuations in CA. They let people return to their homes yesterday. I hope that wasn't premature. I would sure have my exit plan well prepared and listen to the news constantly...........or to the sound of gushing water........

Probably the happiest person I've known in my adult life was a woman I used to work with who completely 100% had no idea what was going on in the world. Her only concerns were things like when her daughter's next dance recital was, and how many weeks it was until their trip to Orlando. She knew who the president was but there's no way she could have known who the congressman for Staten Island was, or who the NY senators were.

Cathy, I share your concern about it being premature to go back. Although the news reports indicate that things are much better now if we get buckets and buckets of rain this weekend/early next week as is predicted, the lake may well get back up to the point of going over the emergency spillway again. If things go wrong evacuation probably won't be an option. The last evacuation had people stranded in traffic jams and lines at gas stations for hours. If there's a next evacuation the same thing will happen again. If I lived in that area I probably would have gone back, but I'd also probably be leaving Saturday and waiting out the coming storm someplace else just in case.

Yeah, I think I would do the same thing if I lived there. Nobody wants to be away from their home and I'd go back too.... but my antenna would definitely be in over-drive and I think I would leave, like you, if much rain were in the forecast. It must be really hard for the people in charge there to know what to do. They're probably "dam-ed" if they do and dam-ed if they don't! (pardon the pun).

Well, I live in California, on the Sacramento river, the river that it all flows into on the way to the ocean. We have been evacuated 3 times in the last 5 weeks, for a total of 13 nights/14 days. The first time was for a full week at the high tide in January, then 4 days, and most recently 3 days. And we're looking at another big storm coming in on Sunday...

Our seawall/levees are designed to hold a 10.6 rise in the river level. The highest level was 11.4, and we had water flowing over the edges of the community, and into driveways and garages, and lots of seepage, but no water into homes and no vehicles lost. At that time the concern was the seasonal high tides. Now we are trying not to panic over the huge flows being released from the dams. There is an unbelievable amount of water being released down the river, as of this afternoon it was still nearly 200,000 cubic feet per second. Our river rise is hovering right around 10 feet.

Actually packing to leave has been an interesting exercise. I subscribe to the 4 P's: people, pets, prescriptions, papers; fill in available space with water, food, and clothes. The first time I packed just as I do to visit family for a week, because I was going the stay with a friend. I actually took things I discovered I didn't need and dropped them at Goodwill before I came home. All was well.

The second time kind of caught me by surprise, at the end of a work day and I was already tired and frazzled. I didn't take enough clothes or food. The third time, I really crammed my car full, because I was not at all sure we would be back, and my 2 dogs and I were going to stay on a motel. I discovered the secondary most important things were down comforter, pillow, and my grandma's cookie jar. I walked through after I packed, to see if there was anything that couldn't be replaced, that I would really miss- the cookie jar was the only thing. (Grandma has been gone for 50 years).

My car is still half full, because I expect we will have to leave again Sunday/Monday. I feel like I'm camping out in my own house. And if I get to stay home this weekend, there quite a few things I intend to give away, things I haven't used in more than 2 years, that were not even a consideration at all. I've had a good lesson in "what's important."

Mschrisgo2, is there relief in sight? Having to pack and leave at a moment's notice over and over must be harrowing.

Sorry you've found yourself in this, Mschrisgo2. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can soon get back to normal. Good luck this weekend with the coming storm.

mschrisgo2, I hope you are okay and that the rain isn't too heavy on Saturday. I'm in LA, and it's been raining here all day. The water has pooled in front of my cottage, but so far no water has come into the house. I may have to pile some straw on the porch to act as a sponge. The street where I live looks like it has two rivers on each side. As long as it doesn't come down to heavily, we are usually okay.

Our local feed store had a fire a few weeks ago. All of the straw heated up because of the rain and caused $75,000. worth of damage. I feel so badly for them. They're very hard working people.

This is such a change after the the extreme drought we were in for years. I hope everyone is safe and dry.

mschrisgo2.......just wondering how you did this weekend with all the rain?

And the DWR posted video of what the regular spillway looks like now. Holy moly, there's not much left. There's no way this will get fixed in one summer and it's going to cost a small fortune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyvDPt-HU3g

Thread Information