Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Evacuations In California

Was there some sort of copper mine around there at some point? The rock, to me, appears to have copper in it, based on the color, and I am thinking a mine, under the spillway, collapsing, could have been an initial cause.

Well, obviously something collapsed.

We were evacuated here again for 2 days and a night, then they cut way back on the dam releases, so the river has gone down to a nice spring level. We're good now until the snow starts melting, which hopefully will be a slow melt.

I think it was more just a matter that once the concrete failed and a hole developed water got under and washed away a whole lot of dirt.

Hmmm.....did they build the spillway on all the huge boulders with the spaces inbetween, or had they filled those spaces/holes in with something and the "filler" got washed away?

Water is incredibly powerful and if any got underneath any type of fill, it would wash it away. IF Dad was still alive, he would have the answer. He was a civil engineer and lived down from the dam. He said at least 10 years ago that there would be problems.

Thread Information