Thread: Bicycle rebuild: Totally crazy 2017 resolution

Bicycle rebuild: Totally crazy 2017 resolution

When my bike was stolen, a friend of mine offered to give me (at no cost) an old bike of his. It was sitting in a nominally screened in pack porch (so it was exposed to some rain).

It is an old Trek 7100.

The thing has lots of rust and is dirty and dusty and just is in total disrepair. But anyway, I took it in the spur of the moment and said: "I am going to refurbish this thing!"

When I got home I felt really optimistic.

Then the next day I felt so, so overwhelmed.

Then the following day I started slowly tinkering on it.

And I think I am going to make getting this thing back in good running order one of my 2017 resolutions, along with reading the whole Bible.

Anyone's good advice is appreciated!

I know nothing about bikes, but I do know about creative projects. I know how cool it is to set a big project and learn as you go. It is a great idea.

Local library should have books on how to tune up/rebuild a bicycle. I know Youtube has video's, and they cover all aspects from using products like Evaporust (commercially available rust remover), to vinegar (if not bad), etc..

What a nice friend! This sounds like such a fun project. Maybe it will be the start of a side business for you, one that you really enjoy!

Bike refurbishing is a project I've done a few times. There are things I can do well on my own but others that are better left to the bike store. Cleaning and greasing the wheel bearings, bottom bracket, and head set are not too difficult but you will find it much easier to do if you have a few simple bike specific wrenches. They are thinner to fit into the working space better. Depending on the bike the bottom bracket may be sealed and not need any maintenance unless it's loose of making noise. Replacing the cables and cable housings is a good thing to do but not absolutely neccessary. It most likely will improve shifting and braking. Adjusting the front and read shifters after the cables are replaced is doable but sometimes I have the local bike shop help. I'd also probably replace the tire tubes just as a fail safe. You might want to remove the chain with a chain tool which makes cleaning the chain and gear rings easier. Truing the wheels and replacing the brake pads and adjusting is something I've not gotten good at and leave it for the bike shop. They use some special tools that I don't want to buy. Pedal bearing are a mess to clean and lube. Unless they are grinding or clicking, I'd leave them alone.

Our local bike shop and also REI has classes in maintenance and also has an hourly rate to use their shop and tools. A bike stand isn't necessary but makes the work easier and it's a slightly expensive investment. There are a couple of good online resources. I'd recommend Park Tool web site and Sheldon Brown. There are also plenty of utube tutorials. If you need new parts and know exactly what you need, ebay will save a lot of money for new or used.

I might add that if you just want something that is decent and rideable, a lot can be done with a little solvent, light oil, and elbow grease. My bike shop will go over a bike for free and offer advice on anything that is broken or needs adjustment. I consider brakes as something that can be life threatening and my top priority to make sure they are adjusted correctly.
    Last edited by Rogar; 1-1-17 at 3:43pm.

Holy F---! This is a hard project. haha

It's like rebuilding a classic car. A step at a time. Even a few minutes a day, over time, yields results.

Throwing a tarp over it in disgust, with the plan to "get back to it later", almost never works.

It's all about forward momentum

Good luck with it, and let's see photos!

What I have learned from my own projects, that I tend to rotate around different crafty projects like crochet and accept that about myself. But I learned to take notes when I feel I am putting aside a project for later. So I staple the wrappers of the yarn I buy and make notes on the pattern, hook size and anything else. I think it is good to push through, but if you feel like you are going to take a break then write down some notes of what you have been doing so you don't just trust your memory.

Sounds daunting, and fun!

Thread Information