Thread: Canned Soup Changes

Canned Soup Changes

I hadn't bought any campbells chunky soup in a while but there was a sale last week. I didn't buy the light versions because I know those are nothing but broth with a spoonful of veg or meat. So, these soups used to be chock full of meat and veg but even the gravy versions are lacking now. There is NO Way that I would pay full price for this stuff! It is just another devious way to downsize what consumers are buying. Just like making a frozen pizza tinier in small increments but having it in the full-size box. I so need a crock pot! Having canned soup on hand for weather emergencies is a good plan but so much of the stuff is like this now.

Not the best place if you're worried about power outages, but many soups freeze well.

I gave up on canned soup a while back - I buy cartons of chicken broth when it's on sale, but that's it.

So you weren't tempted to eat it with a fork?

I can't eat canned soup anymore. I've "seen the light" with homemade soups. They're really not hard to make, most of them, and they are SO much healthier, tastier, less salty, and have no additives and preservatives.

Campbell's Soup has gone from Mmm good, to blechhh IMHO. DH still likes it when he's not feeling well (I think Campbell's chicken noodle soup is programmed into a lot of our DNA, if we were born in the 50s/60s). When I don't have my own chicken stock, I buy Costco's organic broth, and I also buy Better Then Boullion. But frankly, just taking old chicken carcasses and throwing them into a pot with onion, carrot and celery is all it takes for a much healthier and tastier alternative to canned soup.
    Last edited by catherine; 2-17-17 at 8:16pm.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Occasionally I'll use a Progresso soup, but I, too, prefer to make my own. I can't even stand to make anything with campbell's mushroom soup, so I make my own to add to other dishes.
    Campbell soup..........yuk!
    I do buy the boxed organic free range chicken stock though when I make soups. I use it a lot.

Even Progresso tastes bland and yuk to me. I don't mind the mushroom soup stuff. I do buy chicken broth and stock because I don't buy enough chicken to actually bother making my own. But I usually buy the stuff in a box.

So, I had a migraine headache all day and still am in pain. Dug that can out of the trash, the fronts says no MSG. The little tiny print label in the back says it has monosodium glutamate (That IS MGG). Sigh.

I also bought a can of clam chowder but haven't looked at the label.

Honestly, going to the supermarket is so challenged nowadays. I swear the food industry is trying to kill us. It doesn't matter if it says fresh and organic, it can still have chemicals on it. Your not even safe with a bag of apples because the trucks are sprayed with chemicals, the plastic bags of chemicals, the stores spray chemicals.

I like progresso the best, and I agree the low-fat sucks. I like lentil and clam chowder the best. It is mostly emergency food however, and in a snow storm it all tastes good.