Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Research insulin and its relationship to hunger. It's mostly a physiological phenomenon.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Research insulin and its relationship to hunger. It's mostly a physiological phenomenon.
    I agree with this. There is a lot of bad "science" related the the physchology of obesity which may take the view of this being a problem of consumption, weakness or inactivity. I lean toward more of an approach whereby there must be a malfunction of the physiology that stores energy in the form of fat, fails to utilize its savings as fuel and sends false signals to the brain indicating empty reserves and calling for acquisition of more fuel. Thus....binging and craving. In other words, the obesity and inactivity are not results of overeating but evidence of a biological cause.....like insulin resitance in the case of sugary food and hormonal imbalances which cause the system as it was designed to break down.

If that is true, then the shaming aspect toward obese, inactive and food addicted people is a double punishment. I think our culture is not only behind in the research and treatment of obesity.....we have been guided in the wrong direction for many years by people who have had wrong motives, publish bad research and worse ignore results of research because it didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.

It is significant that those who are the most poverty stricken in this country are seemingly the most prone to obesity. A walk around WalMart will provide ample evidence of that.

that seems to have something to do with the struggles detailed here, it's about insulin and junky food triggering binging. Different people react to foods very differently, but junk food is a pretty slippery slope for most people. But if the question is how to avoid eating junk food in the first place, one still needs to say "no" to that, and so grit/focused attention or whatever ... Nancy Reagan is as good a diet guru as anyone at that point - "just say no"

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    It is significant that those who are the most poverty stricken in this country are seemingly the most prone to obesity. A walk around WalMart will provide ample evidence of that.
    they can't afford healthy food maybe, but since poverty, especially if it's seen as PERMANENT, is probably REALLY fricking depressing, could they stick to healthy food, even if they could afford better? Can't say I know how those shoes feel. The really sad part is even if they managed to eat really healthy food, their health might indeed improve, but poverty itself is also an independent risk factor for health problems I believe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    If you have actually posted your height, weight and body mass index history maybe I have missed it or maybe that is not where you want to go with this.

You are talking in terms of a person unable to control his addictions to some foods that you deem harmful to yourself. It seems you have analyzed in depth your current condition but is there some way you can get at why these conditions exist?

Have you gotten any benefits from the counselors and dietitians you have seen? Is this a journey or are you really without clue as to how to find a satisfying direction? Thus, things occur like the "pancake incident".
    I currently weight about 200lbs. I am 5'9".

I had a conversation today on how someone was derailed from a diet by others getting into a debate about diets with them. Yea not too constructive. I mean there are debates on diet because nothing is black and white at this point. But it's not helpful for staying on a diet.

Still think the building up grit approach sounds best (or I'm going to try it out).

If it's bagels and pizza heck if you can't give up a wider variety of other things maybe just give up gluten. Not because it's killing everyone necessary (that requires a great deal of belief that it is indeed doing so) but because it eliminates a lot of temptation.
    Trees don't grow on money

Gluten in particular is problematic for some people. Additional proteins in wheat and other grains can set off all kinds of physical responses--like auto-immune disorders--in many more people, aside from the insulin surge caused by carbohydrate intake. There are also studies that seem to show grains and milk proteins connect with opioid receptors in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Gluten in particular is problematic for some people. Additional proteins in wheat and other grains can set off all kinds of physical responses--like auto-immune disorders--in many more people, aside from the insulin surge caused by carbohydrate intake. There are also studies that seem to show grains and milk proteins connect with opioid receptors in the brain.
    I just came across a great article on this topic in New Yorker (spurred on to Google from this thread). I like this article because it discusses the complexity of our dietary choices, which we try so hard to make simple. It doesn't pooh-pooh the gluten-free trend, but it does add some layers of science to why all of a sudden gluten is verboten today.

My take-away goes back to my own personal dietary trend to try as HARD as I can to eat NOTHING processed, including bread, which is processed--at least if you buy it in a store, it's processed. As I've said before, eating as close to real food as we could had innumerable health benefits for both my husband and I. I am totally suspicious of any food that comes out of a lab.

For instance, despite the fact the the following is 100 calories, non-GMO, zero trans-fat, preservative-free, no artificial ingredients, and gluten free--I'm avoiding it like the plague

IMG_3585.jpg

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/grain
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Well, after a very bad binge last night I have awoken this morning with a resolve to get clean again. Nothing to do but get back on the wagon.

After the binge, when the junk food high faded away, I did some introspection.
    I came to some of the same conclusions I have before, but maybe with some nuances. And who knows? Maybe there was a new conclusion in there too.

For some reason, I can't get my simple living values (minimalism/voluntary simplicity) to apply to food and eating. Why? I have no idea.
    It is like the people at the minimalist meetings who love the idea of minimalism, but they just cannot get themselves to declutter.

Also related to the simple living tie-in is how my problem with food is partly an addiction borne of my own affluence. There were times when I was poor that I ate significantly better -- rice and beans, cabbage and noodles, peanut butter & banana sandwiches. But now I have enough money that I can go out to eat often and eat most any food I like in huge quantities.

But I think the bottom line is emotional. When I was in Israel and had no stress and no emotional distress (other than a bit of loneliness) I ate surprisingly well -- and in very reasonable portions. I even ate a few slices of pizza -- but they triggered no binge.

I need to find something I love (and perhaps someone who loves me) more than food. I need to find something that comforts me more than food, something that entertains me more than food, something that is better company than food.

But what?

For now I am going to dig my heels in and white knuckle it, along with making an appointment to my rent-a-friend (therapist). I have a call next week with my health coach. And next month I meet again with my nutritionist. I am also considering going back to Over-eaters' Anonymous. I went to one meeting but the prayers annoyed me.

Williamsmith
    Let me propose something radical. What you have done in the past to resolve your weight concerns has not reaped permanent solutions. So why return to any of them?

Your list of foods which you ate when you were self described "poor" really fed your obesity. Rice, beans, noodles, peanut butter and banana on bread are all foods that people predisposed to fattening should avoid. In fact, I would consider that an excellent way to fatten up any livestock I might intend to slaughter and eat someday.

Historically speaking, we are genetically developed as "hunter-gatherers". It has only been the last less than one per cent of human existence where we became an agricultural society and existed in the industrial processed food age.

If your finances have improved....use them to purchase simple foods and food ingredients, bring them home and make meals of meat, fruits and vegetables. Eat as much as you want of this stuff and your hunger will be satisfied. Stay away from processed food with carbohydrates and sugar. That is simply all it takes.

Or you could move to the Alaskan Frontier where you can't walk into a pizza shop at will or grab a Reese's peanut butter cup at checkout.

Ultralight, I was intrigued by what you said about not being able to apply your practices of minimalism and simplicity to your diet. I recently realized I have a similar problem. I have a tendency to hoard, which I have worked mightily to rein in, all with the help of my DH who keeps me in check. However, I realized that on some level, COOKING (and buying ingredients, cookbooks, and appliances) was the one "legitimate," sneaky way I could use to continue hoarding. For awhile, I was baking too much--justifying it to DH that since he has celiac disease, me baking him gluten-free desserts was the only way he could have affordable GH treats. Of course, I was eating those treats, too! Now that I've spotted the tendency, I've tried to apply the same awareness about controlling hoarding to shopping for food, picking out recipes, etc.

I have no real insight here, just an observation about my own experience. Also, if ANYONE knows how to generate a desire for exercise, please pass on the secret! I don't mind exercising at all...it's just getting started that confounds me!

Thread Information