Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Yes, depression is an issue. I have been going to therapy for a few years. Not sure that it helps.... I also meditate daily, exercise, spend time in nature, etc. So I think I am doing most of the things the research shows to alleviate depression, minus the pills. I don't do pills.
    This reminded me of an article that I saw recently. Seems like the Mediterranean diet helps a lot with depression. Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...rks-depression

To sum it up, researchers split a group of people with moderate to severe depression in two groups. One group received social support, the other received nutritionist advice. In the first group, 8% achieved "remission" from their symptoms. In the second, 32% percent were in "remission".

Mind blowing to say the least. Keep on keeping on!

Can you indulge yourself by buying a tiny bottle of maple syrup and only baking enough pancakes to go with it?

by bringing home one fish from your fishing outting and frying it?

i find it much easier to resist temptation at the grocery store than facing my pantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Can you indulge yourself by buying a tiny bottle of maple syrup and only baking enough pancakes to go with it?

by bringing home one fish from your fishing outting and frying it?

i find it much easier to resist temptation at the grocery store than facing my pantry.
    I can always make more pancakes! I can always use the whole bottle or walk over to the grocery and buy another bottle, a bigger one. This is what happens when I am really fiendin' for a fix. The fried fish is a little easier to control myself with, for a few reasons.

The "Mediterranean Diet" has a colorful history. Apparently that rascal Ancel Keys, who kicked off our obesity epidemic many years ago, liked to hold his nutrition conferences on the balmy coastline of the Mediterranean Sea, so he made up a diet to go fit his preferences--just like he made up his "Seven Countries Study," leaving out all the confounder countries that didn't fit his narrative. See Nina Teicholz.

I don't see how properly fried fish would be a problem. Just use a good quality oil like coconut or avocado, or lard, and dredge them in something less problematic than wheat flour. like an egg wash and Parmesan cheese.

OP, you might want to read Wheatbelly.

Hey UA, I don't often log on but when I do I'm always inspired by how much people on these boards sincerely want to help each other. I am impressed by your dedication to dealing with this issue and trying to be healthy. Do you have friends you enjoy spending time with, or volunteer activities, spiritual group, or other active social thing to be involved with? I feel like my church and my church friends and associated activities has saved me many times over from depression and sadness. Not trying to preach to you, just a thought about social networks and being part of a group--for me it's my church, but it could be a club or a meetup group for someone else. Good luck and hang in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    Hey UA, I don't often log on but when I do I'm always inspired by how much people on these boards sincerely want to help each other. I am impressed by your dedication to dealing with this issue and trying to be healthy. Do you have friends you enjoy spending time with, or volunteer activities, spiritual group, or other active social thing to be involved with? I feel like my church and my church friends and associated activities has saved me many times over from depression and sadness. Not trying to preach to you, just a thought about social networks and being part of a group--for me it's my church, but it could be a club or a meetup group for someone else. Good luck and hang in there.
    Thanks! I am very active in the Atheist community here in Columbus. And it is, as cheeseball as this sounds, the light of my life in many senses. We go canoeing, have potlucks, go out to dinner, host support groups, meditate, go cycling (a new event I am hosting), have game nights, and so on. The atheist crew has given me many acquaintances, though no truly close friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    OP, you might want to read Wheatbelly.
    I am open to reading it. I probably have a wheatbelly as I love naan and roti!

Over the past month, for a variety of reasons, I have slipped up very badly. I have not been eating well.

I feel like I can't beat it, like I cannot beat this addiction to unhealthy foods.

I seem to not care much about what my therapist would say or what my health coach will say or what the nutritionist will tell me.

Lost in the wilderness is how I feel...

So, you have discovered your Achilles heel. The thing in Ua's life that cannot be overcome by willpower and intellect.

Someone I loved once came to me after a major dissapointments and said "this is the worst thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life." When I realized he was serious, I was torn between my desire to comfort him and my impulse to blurt out "you lucky sob." I'm feeling a similar way now.

welcome to the human race. The good news is that this has the potential to make you a better person.

the bad news is, this may be the thing you don't "beat" this may be the thing you live with, you manage, you accept as part of who you are.

so you do what you can. Try, fail, try again, fail better. Maybe you plan your meals for the week. Maybe you just make good choices for breakfast. You put one foot in front of the other and every day you start fresh. I'm not a big fan of the 12 step approach. I'm sure that as an atheist you aren't either. But some of our challenges really do have to be taken one day, one hour, one choice at a time.

Thread Information