Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Here is what I would normally eat at a Somali restaurant:
    -Pasta! (The Italians were colonists there for some time apparently)
    -Yemeni flatbread (Yemen is so close to Somalia that the two share some aspects of their respective cuisines)
    -Injera! (Again, Ethiopia and Somalia are close to each other)
    -Lentils
    -Chickpeas
    -Chicken
    -Goat
    -Rice

And I would eat all of these items is huge quantities. I'd get an extra bowl of rolled up injera and stuff myself with it.

But last night I got a scoop of greens, a scoop of lentils, a scoop of chickpeas, a little bit of goat, and just one piece of injera. And I did not finish it all. My body said at a certain point: "You are full."

So I stopped. This took some white knuckling for sure.
    Good job UA! 👍

I love that injera. You are so right that it helps to fill out a meal and therefore smaller amount of the dishes can be enjoyed.

I know injera can be made from either a wheat/teff mixture or teff only. It looks pretty easy to make.
    A ketogenic version is probably out of the question, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I know injera can be made from either a wheat/teff mixture or teff only. It looks pretty easy to make.
    A ketogenic version is probably out of the question, though.
    I like when it has a sour hint to it, and when it is very dark.

Total craziness: I roasted some cauliflower with olive oil and some herbs and spices. I'll be damned if it doesn't taste good!
    What is happening to me?

What is happening to me?
    Few kids like veggies, lots of adults do so it's something most people mature into. The exceptions or those who can't learn to like veggies are probably supertasters, supposedly they really have more tastebuds than typical, and so hate anything bitter, so mild veggies for them maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    Total craziness: I roasted some cauliflower with olive oil and some herbs and spices. I'll be damned if it doesn't taste good!
    What is happening to me?
    I did cauliflower, yellow and zuchini squash, and baby eggplant (they have them at whole foods, adorable) with Mrs Dash and olive oil. I put it on top of faro, never tried that before, and it was delicious. I am on day 11 of the patch, even though I am getting some nicotine my taste buds and lungs are recovering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I did cauliflower, yellow and zuchini squash, and baby eggplant (they have them at whole foods, adorable) with Mrs Dash and olive oil. I put it on top of faro, never tried that before, and it was delicious. I am on day 11 of the patch, even though I am getting some nicotine my taste buds and lungs are recovering.
    Keep powering through!

Cauliflower is versatile. One of my favorite uses for it is fauxtato salad--just substitute al dente cauliflower pieces for potato in your favorite recipe. I also like cauli-fried "rice."

I love the theme here of small successes! Learning to like vegetables is a skill with a lifetime of benefits.

I have found Jamie Oliver's stuff to be useful....he uses seasonings and also cooking techniques that are not in my everyday repertoire and what a difference they make! Have been having mashed boiled carrots and mashed boiled rutabaga (called "turnip" where I live). Boil and mash together (more carrots than rutabaga for my family) with unsalted butter and a bit of good orange marmalade, supplemented with grated orange zest. honestly, you could probably skip the marmalade...the orange zest makes the dish. Not the super low carb veggies but so delicious and so unexpected!

I found a mother lode of Jamie Oliver cookbooks at my local library and also a lot is available online. He's not low fat or low carb or vegan or anything...just delicious and focused on home cooking.

Thread Information