Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: The Pancake Incident

So I was thinking more about this issue.

And something shifted in my mind.

I remember some of my buddies back in the old neighborhood were wild drunks or stoners.

And being lushes or potheads was a big part of their identity, perhaps the biggest part of their identity.

Being a foodie is actually a big part of my identity. I am the guy people come to about restaurants and ethnic cuisine. I always know the coolest and latest African or Asian restaurants in the city. I know the names of all the entrees and sides and say: "Oh, try the Kuku Paka at Wycliff's!" Or: "Addis has the best injera, go there!" Or: "If you want a good sampler of Somali food then go to Hoyo's -- Hoyo means mother in Somali."

And so on.

Perhaps as long as being a foodie is a huge part of my identity I will continue to have problems with weight and unhealthiness and overspending.

In March I did a "vegan month" with a friend of mine. She really needed to get healthy and lose weight.

She watched Forks Over Knives and decided to convert to veganism.

As a show of solidarity I did the first month with her -- all vegan, all whole foods diet.

My insane food cravings went away after the first week. My urge to overeat compulsively was almost entirely vanquished.

Though I did feel like I was missing out on my favorite foods -- like white basmati rice and various Indian foods.

But what I noticed is that the closer I am to a vegan whole foods diet, the better I am at curbing my compulsive overeating. Right now I am definitely holding my own by eating a diet that:
    -Largely avoids diary products (I will eat Indian foods when creme or yogurt is an ingredient).
    -Totally avoids eating cows, goats, pigs, birds, and fin fish.
    -Mostly avoids eggs

I can eat raw oysters, enjoy them, and not feel compelled to go overboard.

I eat white basmati rice and naan, and can still go overboard, but not insanely.

Abstaining from basmati rice just feels like emotional torture. haha
    A meal is just not a meal without rice.

So a "near vegan" diet seems to really diminish my addictive and compulsive overeating.

Thread Information