Thread: For those who get immunizations

For those who get immunizations

I agree with getting them, and they suck. I have no idea if I am just highly sensitive to them, I do know I remember every tetanus shot I ever got. I am wondering why I didn't schedule this before a weekend or at least not our first week of camp with field trips.

I got the dtap and pneumonia on Monday, it is obviously thursday. I starting running a fever mid-day on Tuesday. It felt like it broke on Wednesday early but I feel like it is back. My arm is still sore enough to be sensitive to any touch in about a 3 inch circle area. I am also cranky about EVERYTHING. Picking up food, eating food, having clean clothes to put away, the temperature (which is about as perfect as it can get), my lack of interest in any type of show,

I took more Aleve, I have a short day tomorrow, and I hope it won't go on much longer. I can't see any reason to complain to the DR, maybe have him write in my chart to take days off work after shots for 10 years from now I will remember.

Thankfully I have never had a reaction except to a hepatitis b shot after exposure and I didn’t do the rest of the series. I only do a tetanus if I cut myself on something rusty. I don’t do flu shots and had the pneumonia shot 20 years ago. I realize as a teacher you have no choice.

Have you had a full medical exam done, including bloodwork?

It seems odd you'd be reactive to so many different types of vaccinations. I've known immunocompromised folks who had troubles though.

I get immunized for a huge range of things, because of my work with infectious diseases, and sometimes I've had a reaction to some of them, but the docs warned me ahead of time that it was a likely issue, and these weren't especially mainstream vaccinations.

I don't normally have huge reactions to vaccines EXCEPT when I had the TDAP and pneumonia shots last year. I had a high fever for a week and a red rash over my entire upper arm. I think both vaccines at once was just too much for my body to handle. I have a fairly strong immune system, rarely getting sick.

Yppej
    I never had reactions until I got my shingles shot last year. Could be I am getting more sensitive as I get older.

There are always a few people more sensitive to things. We get the warnings when we have shots and rarely have anything other than a sore arm. But, since you know you are more sensitive just take it easy and get your shots early before a weekend.

Bae, I was hoping you would chime in because I know you get a lot of these. I am glad to at least hear this is odd to many people. I had complete bloodwork done as well for odd bruising. When I have dry itchy skin I will scratch and end up with bruises all along my outside thighs. There was nothing in mybloodwork that was unusual however. All I can think is that I am getting older and I had reasons to be pretty tired from the weekend and the busy week.

You do want to be rested and in good health when you get a vaccine. I don't have trouble with them. I'm required by my employer to get the flu vac every year (4y now). It's not worth fighting the policy to me.

Some people simply react to foreign material-sounds like you're one of them.

I got tdap about a year ago and had no reaction. Twenty-ish years ago i did the hep B series and the second, and especially third, shots left me with a sore arm for a few days. (If there had been a fourth shot it would’ve taken much willpower to go to the doc for it. ). The shingrex shots were a whole different game. Both shots gave me a fever for about 24 hours. This is apparently a common reaction for people who are healthy and at the younger end of the age spectrum for which it is approved so i wasn't surprised. I just planned the second shot for a Friday afternoon.

I would like to get the shingles vaccine but am super allergic to neomycin.

Thread Information