Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Interestingly, rutabaga is called turnip in Scotland, too. Must be the Scottish immigrants to Canada influencing the vernacular!

We do a dish of mashed neeps (rutabaga) seasoned with lots of pepper and butter.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Interestingly, rutabaga is called turnip in Scotland, too. Must be the Scottish immigrants to Canada influencing the vernacular!

We do a dish of mashed neeps (rutabaga) seasoned with lots of pepper and butter.
    We love "neeps" but they are a pain in the butt to cut and peel! And the frozen ones are dreadful.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am still clean.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    We love "neeps" but they are a pain in the butt to cut and peel! And the frozen ones are dreadful.
    I use a Chinese cleaver to top and tail and cut them into quarters before peeling! The quarters are then much easier to peel!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    I use a Chinese cleaver to top and tail and cut them into quarters before peeling! The quarters are then much easier to peel!
    I guess a cleaver is better than the French knife and sledge hammer we use!

Thanks for the tip!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am starting to get appetite fatigue from eating many of the same things prepared the same ways... :/

FWP!

I am still clean. And I have an appointment with a nutritionist next week. My health insurance allows me 2 or 3 visits to the nutritionist per year. I plan to take full advantage and treat her as another component in my support network.

Today I am going to see a therapist. My health coach suggested this. His idea is that my therapist could also be a part of a support network for me, giving me several people to hold me accountable.

That sounds great! Hopefully the nutritionist can help you make your diet more interesting.

how are you feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I am starting to get appetite fatigue from eating many of the same things prepared the same ways... :/

FWP!
    When I am doing the Weight Watchers program (which I am now doing in order to get into shape for our trip to Europe this summer--gotta be ready for all that walking!) I need to expand food horizons. I am more focused on what we eat, food we buy in the store, etc. it all takes a whole lt more planning, eating mindfully.

Oddly, I buy more prepared foods, a wider variety. Low cal cheese, low cal crackers, salsa are items I have purchased recently that are not the usual thing for us. ALso, I keep a variety of canned vegetables to plop on top of green salads.

So expanding your food horizon may be normal. If you don't cook much, you have to change that.

Also, relating to expanding horizons:

I have removed any financial restraint from food buying. I can afford whatever, so I am buying it if it aids my health quest. But even then, I refuse to buy sea scallops again at $27 per pound (see the rant thread.)

Last Sunday we had a community garden potluck brunch, and someone brought beautifully prepared, smoked salmon. It was about $15 worth of fish. He made a delicious horseradish sauce for it.

If I thought I could prepare an expensive cut like that,
    I would buy it. But my fish cooking skills are limited.

I do like shrimp as an easy but expensive low calorie protein.

Thread Information