Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

Getting started execising--one of my tricks when I am not in the mood to exercise is
    to tell myself "self, just walk out the front door onto the sidewalk, turn, and walk to the corner. If you want to turn around and come back after that, its ok to do so. "

only 1 time in 50 do I actually turn around.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-14-17 at 5:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hetting started execising--one ofmy tricks if
    Im now t in the mood is to tell myself "self, just walk out the front door onto the sidewalk, turn, and walk to the corner. If you want to turn around and come back after that, its ok to do so. "

That's a great tip. One of my favorite productivity gurus suggests starting a new habit by doing it 1 minute a day, and slowly working your way up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Ultralight, I was intrigued by what you said about not being able to apply your practices of minimalism and simplicity to your diet. I recently realized I have a similar problem. I have a tendency to hoard, which I have worked mightily to rein in, all with the help of my DH who keeps me in check. However, I realized that on some level, COOKING (and buying ingredients, cookbooks, and appliances) was the one "legitimate," sneaky way I could use to continue hoarding. For awhile, I was baking too much--justifying it to DH that since he has celiac disease, me baking him gluten-free desserts was the only way he could have affordable GH treats. Of course, I was eating those treats, too! Now that I've spotted the tendency, I've tried to apply the same awareness about controlling hoarding to shopping for food, picking out recipes, etc.

I have no real insight here, just an observation about my own experience. Also, if ANYONE knows how to generate a desire for exercise, please pass on the secret! I don't mind exercising at all...it's just getting started that confounds me!
    Interesting insight about yourself! I appreciate you sharing it.
    I thought I did not like working out. Then in January I started (part of this unFATification process). And lo and behold: I actually like it. I am about to work out now. I especially like push-ups. I can use my own fatness against itself!

Hey UL, just came across this article and thought of you: http://www.breakthetwitch.com/simpli...als/#more-3163. Its about simplifying meals.

I don't seem to have a problem with working out. I woke up at 5:30am today to work out.

Amusing story: I am doing this challenge to be able to do 100 push ups in a row. I am currently at 32. My coworkers know this. So the other day, a couple of the young whippersnappers were teasing me about my push up challenge.

The one guy, who is like 27 and lean, was like: "Come on! Let's do push ups. Lets see how many we can do!"

And a 23 year old woman who is a fit, muscular rock climber was like: "How many can you do? Let's see!"

They think I am just some doughy, balding, middle aged, out of shape schlub.

After several minutes of this kind of prodding and teasing I was like: "Okay."

So I dropped and rapidly started doing hand-clap push ups. I did a whole bunch of them. Afterward I could see they were both taken aback. The dude was like: "Wow... I didn't actually think you could do those."

The rock climber was like: "I guess you can do a lot of push ups..."

Another coworker came out from her cube and was like: "Was that really him doing those clap push ups?"

When I first started back in January I could not do 20 "girl" style push ups.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Getting started execising--one of my tricks when I am not in the mood to exercise is
    to tell myself "self, just walk out the front door onto the sidewalk, turn, and walk to the corner. If you want to turn around and come back after that, its ok to do so. "

Excellent advice! I can't tell you how many times that's gotten me moving. And, of course, once I've done one minute, I can do five or more. And having done it many times before makes it easier to get up and do it.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Somebody ought to tell Yppej to un-ignore me. She'll love reading this update.

Well, I really fell off the wagon. Actually, I fell off a bunch of times since June 1st. I was going to restaurants and buffets alone, I was engaging in "bonus eating" (where you eat meals in between or shortly after other meals). I was eating fast food -- burgers, fries, and chicken fingers.

I ate pancakes numerous times. Huge stacks. Gigantic stacks, even! At pancake houses (the opium dens of us fat bodies).

But things really came to a head on Monday -- dime-a-dog night at the minor league ballpark. I ate 7 hot dogs covered in ketchup and mustard. I also ate a boat of cheese fries. I had to wait in loooooong lines for my hot dogs. So I missed most of the game and during this time my ladyfriend was sitting alone.

Afterward I chugged a half gallon of whole milk before bed.

The next day I went to a Mexican restaurant and ate two big-ass bowls of chips and salsa. Then I ate my meal. I also ate unspeakable numbers of slices of pizza virtually around the clock.

But my ladyfriend saying "You spent more time waiting in line for ten cent hot dogs than you did with me" really hit home.

I also noticed I was spending lots of time thinking about getting my next fix -- what will I eat next? And getting and taking my fix was taking up lots of time. So I had barely been reading more than a few pages a day. I was only drawing one picture every couple of days.

My dog -- poor Harlan -- was getting so few walks and was spending too much time home alone while I was out smashing drumsticks at Bogey's All Night Chicken Shack or while I was destroying an Indian buffet.

In short, my food addiction was really getting in the way of the things that are important.

And I have, over the past couple months, spent so much money on restaurants and take-out that I have new debt: Doctors' bills that I should have already paid off, by all rights! But the money I should have put to that debt went to chicken wings and brunch buffets.

Perhaps the most shameful of all. I don't have the money to pay for Harlan's annual dentist visit. He usually gets a thorough cleaning and such in the summer. Now he won't be able to get this until autumn, maybe even winter.

This is a new low for me. I cannot properly take care of my dog because my food addiction got so spendy.

Many people find help with overeaters anonymous. You might want to check into it, as it sounds like a 12 step program might really help.

That sounds horrible and I would worry about gaining weight with all the high calorie eating. Hope you can get it under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That sounds horrible and I would worry about gaining weight with all the high calorie eating. Hope you can get it under control.
    I am worried about gaining weight. I am almost 200 lbs. as it is. I am only 5'9", so 200 lbs. is A LOT!!

Thread Information