Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 162

Thread: The Pancake Incident

  1. #11
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,596
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I have almonds, but I don't do chocolate. It has caffeine, which I have not consumed since about age 20 (I am 37 now).

    I also, since getting clean, have kept apples and citrus fruits around.

    Which is interesting. I could eat 8 slices of pizza, and I have. But I could not eat 8 oranges -- no way! Isn't that interesting?

    It sounds like you have a system that works for you. Glad to hear it!
    Well, it works about 90% of the time. That's good enough for me.

    Yeah, when your brain is craving fat and carbs, apples and oranges aren't going to cut it!

    By the way, if you do get a craving for pancakes, at least go with Kodiak Cakes. I bought them at Costco, and they are GREAT! Made with whole grain and packed with protein, and they even taste good! I think they're a great alternative to the standard white flour pancakes. Target also sells them.

    http://www.kodiakcakes.com
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Well, it works about 90% of the time. That's good enough for me.

    Yeah, when your brain is craving fat and carbs, apples and oranges aren't going to cut it!

    By the way, if you do get a craving for pancakes, at least go with Kodiak Cakes. I bought them at Costco, and they are GREAT! Made with whole grain and packed with protein, and they even taste good! I think they're a great alternative to the standard white flour pancakes. Target also sells them.

    http://www.kodiakcakes.com
    They taste good? Then I probably should not eat them. haha

  3. #13
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    9,596
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    They taste good? Then I probably should not eat them. haha
    Hmm, I think you said you are a Stoic, but methinks you are an Ascetic.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  4. #14
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,998
    It's good you don't use caffeine, since that really stimulates my appetite.
    I used to make butternut squash pancakes for my kids....mostly squash.
    I think for some of us, all carbs can give us cravings just has much as sugar. Too bad there are a lot of healthy things that you don't like.
    My guess is that your family didn't offer many of those more healthy things when you were younger?
    Rice is okay........but you can soak and rinse it, to help get rid of some of the carb in them.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,278
    I think it's just that certain foods are so highly addictive that it triggers the behavior really. Like pancakes are a super high sugar rush and one doesn't even need to have given up sugar entirely or anything more extreme to get that, they just need to have experienced it.

    Now I don't think all fat people are eating nothing but addictive foods all the time (some do but), some people just slightly overeat healthy foods, maybe they eat for stress etc. - and even if it's fairly healthy foods that will add up, but it won't be binge behavior necessarily. Truthfully the human body probably at least in a basically sedentary social situation, where few of us had great diets growing up etc. (and it's easier to be overweight if one was overweight as a kid/teen), probably has some tendency to gain weight even in the best possible conditions unless it's very much fought. But binging is kind of separate from that and I totally think it's caused by the foods themselves in this case!
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Hmm, I think you said you are a Stoic, but methinks you are an Ascetic.
    Not entirely... I certainly enjoy and indulge in HCF.

    But I also enjoy honeycrisp apples, Valencia peanut butter, sparkling water, baked chicken wings (with a spicy/peppery rub on them), organic grapes, and berries of all kinds. So that names a few things I enjoy and will continue to eat.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    It's good you don't use caffeine, since that really stimulates my appetite.
    I used to make butternut squash pancakes for my kids....mostly squash.
    I think for some of us, all carbs can give us cravings just has much as sugar. Too bad there are a lot of healthy things that you don't like.
    My guess is that your family didn't offer many of those more healthy things when you were younger?
    Rice is okay........but you can soak and rinse it, to help get rid of some of the carb in them.
    I have some whole grain brown rice, and I will eat that. Tastes bad and the texture is unpleasant, but it is apparently healthy! Shocker!

  8. #18
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,998
    I asked what your parents fed you when you're young, because I think it sets our "wiring" for more of the same later. I used to breast feed my DD whenever she wanted it. I told my mother this once and she said "Oh, I only fed you ever 4 hours. If you cried the entire time before that, too bad." She also said when I was a toddler and would cry/fuss, she'd stuff a cracker in my mouth. Thanks mom, you doofus. So now I have a lifetime of eating problems. Just telling you that in case you're also struggling with the wiring that your parents gave you. I'm sure it's a combo of nature/nurture, but a cross-to-bear, nonetheless.

  9. #19
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,998
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I have some whole grain brown rice, and I will eat that. Tastes bad and the texture is unpleasant, but it is apparently healthy! Shocker!
    Well ULA, I'm not sure it's good for you to always eat "healthy" stuff if you find it distasteful! It might take some time and trial and error, but you need to find healthy stuff that satisfies your taste buds too!

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    9,911
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I asked what your parents fed you when you're young, because I think it sets our "wiring" for more of the same later. I used to breast feed my DD whenever she wanted it. I told my mother this once and she said "Oh, I only fed you ever 4 hours. If you cried the entire time before that, too bad." She also said when I was a toddler and would cry/fuss, she'd stuff a cracker in my mouth. Thanks mom, you doofus. So now I have a lifetime of eating problems. Just telling you that in case you're also struggling with the wiring that your parents gave you. I'm sure it's a combo of nature/nurture, but a cross-to-bear, nonetheless.
    My mom has told me time and time again she ate lots and lots of rocky road ice cream when she was pregnant with me. She also smoked. But as a kid I would eat monster chocolate cakes, chocolate bars, double chocolate cookies, red meat like Italian sausages, pizzas, pastas, mac-n-cheese, huge buckets of fried chicken, and I would wash it all down with Pepsi. My parents always had cases and cases on hand.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •