Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pancake Incident

I have not eaten potatoes, rice, pasta or any bread other than rye flour crispbreads since 1 December. Despite making loads of mince pies, Christmas puddings, Christmas cakes, black bun and shortbreads for the Christmas/Hogmanay period, nary a one passed my lips! I have never been much of a sweetie, chocolate lover, so I Haven't really missed them.

My long-term, insulin-dependant diabetes has been quite unstable since November, with disturbances in my vision. I have had to up the insulin twice and I'm awaiting the results of tests.

I am not overweight, but it's amazing how the fear of losing my sight has the ability to stiffen my resolve!

Yeah, that's true Ishbel........unfortunately for many of us, it's hard to make changes if we don't also feel bad/scary things happening to us.....like diabetes, heart attack, etc.

I'm veering into ketogenic territory, diet wise. I gave up grains and sugar long ago. (Ketogenic diets are excellent for addressing food sensitivities and inflammation.) I'm a devotee of the famous Fat Head Pizza crust, made from almond flour. It's not the same as the real thing, but it makes a tasty substitute.

The SAD diet was pretty much sold to us by Ancel Keys and a vast band of enablers. Nina Teicholz wrote a book about it (The Big Fat Surprise)--the idea that fat is a bugaboo and hearthealthywholegrains are some kind of panacea, which couldn't be more wrong. Sugar and grains drive insulin, known as "the hunger hormone." which pretty much assures that if you eat them. you'll be constantly hungry--especially if you tend toward hyperinsulinemia already. The battleship is turning around, but a lot of the old-school proponents of starch- and sugar-heavy diets (most of whom are on the take from the food industry) will probably have to die before the truth gets a toehold. "Fake news" is rife in the nutrition community.

Ishbel, have you read Dr. Richard K Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? He's a type one still practicing medicine full time at eighty*--a real, solid role model and a strong proponent of very low carb diets for people with all varieties of diabetes.

*He was an engineer when he got his diagnosis, which inspired a career change. He went to medical school in an effort to better understand and treat his condition.

Jane
    i hadn't heard of this writer, but I'll certainly look him up now.

I have been diabetic for nearly 20 years and had become pretty complacent as my twice daily bloods had been more or less stable after the intial difficulties. So complacent I more or less stopped testing for months as a time.

This past year has been very traumatic for me re family matters which are ongoing involving me in a longish trip Down Under last year and frequent emergency phonecalls and FT sessions. I started to eat more bread, my own delicious home-made wholemeal breads, comfort eating, all without testing..... A recipe for disaster, which I am trying to rectify. Since 1 December I have lost just over 8 kilos .... Welcome drop, but a bit more than I'd like.

Stress is kind of a double whammy--it raises cortisol, and it causes insulin to rise, if I'm remembering correctly. And then there are the delights of Getting Older, which means you don't bounce back like you used to. I think you're on the right track, Ishbel.

Ultralite, if you have to gag down vegetables, you might do best on some kind of low carb plan. There's a subset of "zero-carb" adherents who eschew vegetables altogether--kind of like modern-day Inuits. Personally, I like vegetables for the variety they offer, but I don't think they're absolutely necessary in a well-planned diet, and eating only meat and fat will get you into a ketogenic state quickly and easily. Then, in the words of a website "Butter makes your pants fall off," which I can attest to, since I'm having to hitch mine up constantly.

Great job! It is a hard road. I was a very unhelathy veggie teen, coke and fries and actually when I get stressed I do not eat enough. I switched over to total 'real food' back then and raised my kids that way. Overall I eat healthy but I know that sugar with fat is my thing, i keep to small portions. I really think that sugar does affect our brain in the way you are describing and can be highly addictive, it is also in so many foods that you often have to cook to get away from all those added sugars.

There is a theory I have of kid stomachs, there are different parts for dessert, dinner, etc. So if the dinner part is very small they are full with one bite, but the dessert part is huge and empty so of course they have room for dessert! So your fruit and veggies part needs to just get bigger and the dessert part smaller

I like your theory, ZG.

Butter is not Bad- and it certainly makes a lot of veggies more appealing! I dress up steamed bland veggies with butter, freshly ground black pepper, freshly pressed garlic and, now and then, a squeeze of lemon juice.

Cauliflower tastes pretty good in a curry!

I agree about the butter. It's probably healthier than those substitutes with all their additives.

I can relate to both sugar binges and intense cravings for comfort foods. I can also relate to that scary feeling of being out of control around food. You are not alone, UL! I'm glad you've reached out for support. Through my insurance company, I was able to join a "Weight Management Support Group" that meets once a week, for free. Through that no-nonsense but very positive environment, I've made dozens and dozens of small, incremental changes in my diet and exercise routine (i.e. from "none" to "some"). The weight is slowly coming off, my cholesterol and BMI are reducing, and I'm feeling better.

I still have sugar here and there, but I figured out that I can't have access to it in the house, i.e. no bags of cookies in the cupboard. Instead, I'll have ONE thing a week from the grocery store bakery. It was very difficult at first, but now it's getting easier, and I don't find myself thinking about it as often.

Good for you for keeping at it...no effort is wasted! I just try to take it one healthy meal at a time--except for Friday night, when DH and I go out for dinner. At that time, I try to make healthy choices, but if I don't, then I don't beat myself up about it. Hang in there...change is possible!

Thread Information