Thread: Milestone: Medicare Card

Milestone: Medicare Card

Wow. I just opened an envelope and saw a card that looks JUST like the one my MIL and grandmother used to carry. YIKES!!

I'm not 65. I mean, I am, or will be in a few weeks, but I just can't believe it. I'm doing interviews with doctors on the topic of shingles vaccine, and I flinch when they say, "yes, I give that vaccine to all my elderly patients, 65 and up."

ELDERLY???? Me????

I know this is just another phase in my life, not unlike when I was 12, or 21, or 50. But I have to say, getting a Medicare card in the mail was a bit of a shocker, even though of course I've been expecting it.

Life is tumbling away, as it does. To everything there is a season. I completely agree with that. I'm so happy that I'm not dating, that I'm not doing the young parent thing, that my kids are settled, that I found my career and my livelihood, that I've attained a certain measure of wisdom that comes with age.

But come on..

As they say in Spamalot: I'm not dead yet!

ETA: Silver lining--$600 monthly savings!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, I'm jealous. I'll be there in about 2 1/2 years, but in the meantime it's ACA all the way. Hope it remains intact and usable enough for me and everyone else like me to keep it until we cross over into Medicare-land.

Girl! Congrats in getting on the gubmnt teat! I have 27 months until I get the magic card.

We started with an ACA policy last November and while we do not really know how much it will cost in the end, it is likely it will be about half the cost of our Cobra plan through my former place of employment.

i get weekly email messages from my fa orite Senator, Rand Paul (who is a physician, by the way, for those of you who dismiss all GOP candidates as idiots) about his plan for repealing and replacing the ACA.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-17-17 at 11:37pm.

Congrats on the new phase in your life! 65 isn't old anymore by far. Plus, you've made a good life for yourself.

I just got Medicare for being on SSDI, it was weird seeing this card that so many elderly patients have shown me over the years. It was a jolt because it made me feel like I'll never work again.

Thread Information