Thread: Hi from New Zealand.

Hi from New Zealand.

Sue and I turned our backs on the madness of the rat race just over 3 years ago and now live in a truck and make our living through environment restoration. Simple living is and was the key to the freedom we now have.

from Canada. I have heard that NZ is one of the most expensive places to live as most products are based on world prices so little local protection. What has been the most challenging aspect of your transition?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Hi Razz
    Yes, prices are expensive but because most people are hooked on the lie that you must own the latest and greatest it is very easy to get clothing, building materials, technology etc for very little from thrift stores and other second-hand sources. The biggest challange is our minds. We now have lots of free time and both of us (up until 3 years ago) were on the 9 to 5 treadmill and it is very ingrained. If we are not working (we work about 6 months of the year) we feel unproductive and a little uneasy. So strange as it may seem the most challenging aspect of our transition is embracing (and not feeling guilty) about the freedom we now have.

Kia Ora!

I'm Scottish and have lots of rellies in your 'big' neighbour Australia.

Welcome Bryan! I look forward to hearing more about your new lifestyle.

I can understand the feeling of being unproductive. When I retired 12 years ago, I leaped into volunteering and put in as many hours at various roles in the community. After about three years or so, I smartened up and stepped back. I am once again stepping back even more and starting to do things that are a priority for me. There is some volunteering but with my terms and parameters. I joined a choir and am finally learning to sing as an alto. I had always thought I was a mezzo-soprano who couldn't sing very well. Now found out that I am decent alto. i mentor a very active 7 year-old at a school through an agency. But each activity is my choice. I am finding that friends are needing support as they go through life's challenges like widowhood, separation at age 60 or having their spouse requiring long-term care.
    You will find some activities that have meaning for you that are possible on your schedule.
    I figure that donating care, time and supportive effort in a community is just as important as working.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

And Kia Ora to you, A'm gled tae meet ye. Lived in Australia for a year or two and it is a great place, though we have never had the pleasure of Scotland.

Hi Rosarugosa,. Thank you for your greeting, I am enjoying this forum already.

Wise words Razz - it is indeed more blessed to give than receive but finding the right balance is a bit of a science, but it sounds to me like you've refined your life well.That is the great thing about being time rich, you can share your gifts and abilities with others - I'm sure that is the way we were designed but most people are so busy trying to make 'enough' money that they have little time left to share with others.

Thread Information