Thread: Stop beleiving the lie.

Stop beleiving the lie.

It took nearly 50 years to get so desperate to escape the rat race before we finally cast our cares to the wind, sold nearly everything we owned and fled in a crusty old housetruck that we bought of an auction site. It's now 3 years later and we love our new lives. The key has been to live frugally, which was very new and slightly depressing to start with, but now we are experiencing the freedom it gives us we love being frugal and making every dollar count. I was one of those people that believed that I was doomed to eeking out a living doing something I didn't enjoy until I hit retirement, probably broke. It doesn't need to be that way for any of us. IF we can do it, you most definitely can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    It took nearly 50 years to get so desperate to escape the rat race before we finally cast our cares to the wind, sold nearly everything we owned and fled in a crusty old housetruck that we bought of an auction site. It's now 3 years later and we love our new lives. The key has been to live frugally, which was very new and slightly depressing to start with, but now we are experiencing the freedom it gives us we love being frugal and making every dollar count. I was one of those people that believed that I was doomed to eeking out a living doing something I didn't enjoy until I hit retirement, probably broke. It doesn't need to be that way for any of us. IF we can do it, you most definitely can.
    Hi Bryan,
    Here on this site most people are somewhere on the simple living path.

I retired a few years earlier than the norm, and am glad for our ur early years of frugality that support this decision.

Hi Iris. Living simply is such a simple truth that many people fail to grasp it and end up in their later years wondering what happened. It is pretty late in the piece for us, but nevertheless, it is liberating. I'm glad you discovered it a lot earlier in your life and are name reaping the benefits.

Did not take us long. In the early 80s had a 13% mortgage. Got rid of it, sat down and came up with a lifetime plan, wrote it down and followed it. No latest house or car. No fancy fashions or stuff. Still have my original dining room set from 1975 and only buy recycled furniture now at 10-20% of retail. Bought our house downtown when we moved back so we had no commute and could save time and money.

All this over 30 years allowed us to retire early with zero worries. We now work for and support those organizations we believe in and work on our health.

As my husband says Life is Good.

Frugality gives so many more opportunities for creativity. Enjoy the journey.

I love the post, yes its true Im glad Bryan you were brave enough to "escape" the rat race. Id love to do that but with kids its too hard. We live simply and frugally right now where we are at. But it is an art form almost to squeeze out and stretch the dollar. Yes you give up much but you really gain freedom! Yes dont believe the lie. WE buy used , recycled and from thrift stores. It is never ever too late to make a change. Consider it a gift of wisdom. Many people know what you know but it takes COURAGE to make the change. Thanks for posting! Looking forward to more!

Having kids is expensive but we did the same with our 3 that is seems like you are doing. They did not go without but never had all the latest gadgets, etc. As adults they are well balanced in regard to finances.

We "escaped" when we were 36. I'm so glad we read "Your Money Or Your Life".

We were much more frugal when young then we are now with 3 kids and a SAHM. I did not even start my career until mid 30's so did not want to retire too early. By 58 I was was sick of f.t. work.

Yes no one warned me of the adventures awaiting in marriage and parenting. Especially having a bonus baby at 40 with two teenagers! It just added the element of "you need to re think everything". But slowly we are building on frugality and financial independents. Its definitely a work in progress.....

Thread Information