Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICE meeting limited to Republicans?

ICE meeting limited to Republicans?

https://gutierrez.house.gov/media-ce...eaker-ryan-and

Limiting federal police ICE questioning to only approved by Republican judiciary reps is overreach and the beginning of controlling information.No checks and balances are visible in this action.

I thought that was way out of line.

I guess this is an example of "fake news" which I would more accurately characterize as "news designed to create and/or enhance a narrative". According to NBC, it was a bipartisan meeting limited to representatives with "jurisdictional interests in immigration enforcement". It sounds like Congressman Gutierrez and several other members of the Hispanic Caucus decided to crash the meeting and were asked to leave.

Methinks 'Mission Accomplished'.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I guess this is an example of "fake news" which I would more accurately characterize as "news designed to create and/or enhance a narrative". According to NBC, it was a bipartisan meeting limited to representatives with "jurisdictional interests in immigration enforcement". It sounds like Congressman Gutierrez and several other members of the Hispanic Caucus decided to crash the meeting and were asked to leave.

Methinks 'Mission Accomplished'.
    What exactly does "Jurisdictional interests in immigration enforcement" mean? Does that mean only people on the judiciary committee were allowed to attend? And if so, why? And did Paul Ryan have the right to make that decision? It would seem reasonable that an informational meeting with people from executive branch agencies for members of congress should be open to any member of congress whose constituents might be concerned about the issue to be discussed.

Does anyne really believe that GUtierrez and co. are unable to summon goubmnt officials from the Immigration and Customs Enforcement departments to speak with them? Perhaps they could have their own meeting? Are they capable of calling a meeting, or must someone else do that for them?

Maybe they could get the black lady from the press conference to take care of that for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    What exactly does "Jurisdictional interests in immigration enforcement" mean? Does that mean only people on the judiciary committee were allowed to attend? And if so, why? And did Paul Ryan have the right to make that decision? It would seem reasonable that an informational meeting with people from executive branch agencies for members of congress should be open to any member of congress whose constituents might be concerned about the issue to be discussed.
    I would think that if a meeting designed to accomplish something is held, it is probably counter productive to allow it to be used for soapbox oratory by those attempting to display their bona fides to their constituents. They should probably do that on their own time.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Reading the According to NBC from Alan, it says the same thing Gutierrez said. He's from Illinois...Chicago was part of the sweep up . He should have been a part of it. Exactly how bi partisan was it, didn't see any names of who attended. They did have a meeting scheduled which was cancelled. Can they have another meeting? Will ICE bother to come or do they have to run it through the "majority"? This is the kind of stuff we need to be watching, not paying attention to the circus clown. See what the Republicans are doing NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I would think that if a meeting designed to accomplish something is held, it is probably counter productive to allow it to be used for soapbox oratory by those attempting to display their bona fides to their constituents. They should probably do that on their own time.
    That assumes they only wanted to be there to bloviate and not to ask legitimmate questions of interest to their constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Maybe they could get the black lady from the press conference to take care of that for them.
    I want you to remember that I gave you the opening for that. You owe me one.

Thread Information