Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doe won't leave our backyard - what to do

doe won't leave our backyard - what to do

When we first moved here a few months ago, there were small groups of does who would jump the fence, graze in the backyard and move on. For several days now, there has been a solitary doe in the yard who doesn't seem to want to leave. She grazes for a while, eats branches and twigs, and then beds down in the corner for quick naps but always wary. I fear that maybe her little herd has been shot or otherwise killed and she is all alone now. I could chase her away but she seems to feel secure here. Any ideas what to do?

We had a fawn that camped out in our yard a few years ago. We watched our for her because of coyotes but she eventually left. We have herds of up to 60 that traverse our farm, live in the woods, forage in the hay and bean fields and that is just what they do. I suggest calling your state DNR if you want her gone, they could re-locate her.

Relocation of deer is rarely a sound plan:

https://bloomington.in.gov/documents...cument_id=5711

I live where there are more deer than people. There are no predators except cars, and there's very little hunting pressure.

You can't have any sort of garden unless you have a deer-proof fence. That's about 8 feet.

I often have to use my horn to get out of my driveway, to shoo the deer out.

They bed down outside the fence to my yard, ignoring my dogs completely.

Idiots down the road *feed* some of them. One lady even lets them into her living room.

My wife calls them "verge rats"

We've tried every deer repelling substance there is over the past 18 years or so - no joy.

The herd that lives on my hillside has very predictable habits, they move according to a schedule throughout the day, it's sort of cute. They'll come up and graze on the leaves of trees I am busy cutting down, and stand right next to me nibbling while I am splitting wood and such.

There's no good answer except to keep them out in the first place, and that's a royal pain.

I've considered relocating mountain lions *to* here, but that might introduce other issues.

I'm told I will need to completely cage in my garden to keep out deer and critters even though we have a 6 ft fence. And we're smack in the middle of a huge city. I'm concerned about ticks or lice too.

We have deer here and will also have to build a very large fence for the garden. Are you on a lot of land? Just thinking that maybe you could get her to move to another area by feeding her in a new area. Maybe there is a sanctuary that would take her?

Yet another reason why I wouldnt live where you live, bae. Deer love lilies like they are deer candy.

How do deer end up on islands? Seems like they would be very inbred.
    Finally, after three days here, Miss Doe jumped the fence and moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    How do deer end up on islands? Seems like they would be very inbred.
    Finally, after three days here, Miss Doe jumped the fence and moved on.
    They will actually swim quite a long ways. They do like protection so I think sometimes they'll swim to an island and say "hey, this isn't so bad so what's the point of going back" same with your fenced yard pinkytoe, she feels secure inside the fence. When I worked for a camping ministry we had a fawn that lost his mama and so he took up with the pack of black labs. He thought he was a black lab. He loved hanging out in my office because he could watch for the mailman who always had dog treats. We did have to relocate him when he was 2 - his antlers were getting a little more dangerous and the neighbors to the camp were pissed at how many flowers he ate as well as being a peeping buck at their windows because he expected to be let inside for treats or to find a good place to snuggle in for a nap.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information