Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump and the Queen

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trump and the Queen

What say you, Ishbel?

I found this writeup on CBC rather funny and thought that I would share. "The poor old Queen" has seen some interesting guests on state visits so Trump should be no different. It is the speed with which the invite came that has troubled the public, it seems. Usually state visits happen after a couple of years. Enjoy a chuckle.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/donald-...ueen-1.3990696

Quotes:
    But it has inspired much more than raised eyebrows: protests, petitions, a move to sack the Speaker of the House of Commons and a police warning the visit could require thousands of officers on the streets.

The crown jewel of official visits is a highly coveted affair. There is no higher honour for a visiting head of state.

And so, for the critics here, there is no higher offence than offering one to Donald Trump.
    The government, however, has ruled out a recall. It says Trump has accepted the invitation delivered last month in Washington by Prime Minister Theresa May on behalf of the Queen (of course, on the advice of the government). The quicker-than-usual invitation "reflects the importance of the relationship," it said in a statement.
    Critics are unconvinced.

"You don't normally invite somebody 'round for Christmas with your relatives the first time you meet them," Chris Bryant, a Labour MP and former minister who once oversaw state visits, said in an interview.

"Because we're leaving the EU, [Theresa May] is desperate for friends.…

Several reports here have suggested the visit has been shifted to later in the year to ensure it happens while Parliament is on break – to save face.

There have also been reports Trump might spend more time outside London than the average visitor. Neither could be independently confirmed.
    A petition before the House of Commons today seeks to put a moratorium on a Trump state visit throughout his term, because having one would "cause embarrassment to Her Majesty the Queen." It does not object to normal, run-of-the-mill visits.

Any petition signed by 100,000 people is automatically referred for a Commons debate (though not usually a vote).

This one attracted 1.85 million.

The Queen has seen 109 state visits in her 65 years on the throne, including from controversial figures ranging from Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe, to Indonesia's Suharto, to Italy's Silvio Berlusconi.

The petition was submitted by one Graham Guest, of Leeds, who later told the Independent newspaper that it was "a very incongruous thing, for this man, with all of the things he's said," to be photographed with the "poor old Queen."

Bryant, the Labour MP, says despite his opposition to the visit it isn't the Queen he's worried about.

"The Queen's pretty robust," he said.

"She's met some dodgy figures over the years
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Haha he is a "dodgy figure" allright.

As i walked the dog this morning, the words of a spoof scenario came to mind. Forgive me, everyone!

May: The UK population is getting too upset about Brexit. We need a diversion. I know, I will visit Trump ASAP and give the people something else to talk about.

Shortly thereafter,

May: Hi Mr, Trump, so glad that you were able to see me on such short notice.
    Trump: Glad to help. I always help everyone I can. All the time.

May: About NATO...
    Trump: what about a state visit to the Queen and that man, what's his name? Oh yes, Phillip.

May: Well I will see what I can do. About NATO..
    Trump: A state visit includes a ride in the carriage, doesn't it? People will be lining up by the millions to see me. Hmm, Covered carriage or open? It might rain and I cannot stand my hair getting mussed up.

May: About trade post-Brexit. Britain and the US have trading partners for years and will be more important in coming years
    Trump: I want the parade to be longer than ever before so that the millions who want to see me will be able to do.

May: About trade with the US..
    Trump: The state dinner should be really big and all the cameras must focus on my right profile as it is my best .

May: About trade...
    Trump: The millions of people should be able to see me with the Royal Family on the balcony of Buckingham Palace, don't you agree?

May: About NATO?
    Trump: Good I am glad that is settled about the state visit with the Queen.

May: About NATO, Donald...
    Trump: Oh yes, yes, NATO is important. Sorry but your time is up Elizabeth. Let's walk down to the crowds that are waiting to see me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

MPs are to discuss this any minute now (4.30 pm).

ETA. Nothing reported on the BBC's 6 pm bulletin. Nothing new on the Beeb's online site.
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 2-20-17 at 1:38pm.

Much spleen vented. Alec Salmond had the cheek to accuse Mrs May of sucking up to Mr Trump. Pot and very black kettles came to mind!

As expected, the invitation stands!

I did watch some of the speeches for a short while. You're right about the spleen vents. Also, about a stand in the spotlight.
    Oh dear, how cynical one can become these days.
    Last edited by razz; 2-21-17 at 10:14am. Reason: Grrrrrr - autocorrect

So she invited him for Christmas? Put her on my admiration radar--she probably doesn't want to sit around fighting over who gets the grandchildren for Christmas, either. I never thought about inviting a head of state to avoid Christmas blues--good on her.

not a hope in he ll!

Although the fact Her Maj runs a very German style Christmas might mean Herr Trump would feel right at home

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Although the fact Her Maj runs a very German style Christmas might mean Herr Trump would feel right at home
    I'm glad that the two German usurpers will get a chance to chat :-)

Trump might give the Queen the "big one" and then poor Charles can be king.

Thread Information