Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Direct Primary Care

I’ve been poking around media coverage and discussion boards on concierge/direct care physicians, and I learned that my own physician is expanding yet again to her third town. I’m not sure I am on board with that. She wants her practice to be 1000 patients, and what I’m reading says direct care practices are 600 to 800 patients.

The last time I went into the office I saw her nurse practitioner, a new employee. If this becomes a process where I can’t access the real doctor, that is a dilemma. However, the main reason I go to that practice is because it’s just too easy, is in downtown Hermann in a little Victorian building that’s so easy to access.

I wonder if the concierge MD accepts Medicare.

Medicare reimbursement for say, seeing a patient 10 minutes (Billing Code 99212-CG) has a "Medicare-Approved Amount" = $145.30. Does Medicare take a dim view of MDs assessing a monthly/annual membership fee aside from Medicare's approved amount for a quota of a physician's time with a Medicare patient?

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I wonder if the concierge MD accepts Medicare.

Medicare reimbursement for say, seeing a patient 10 minutes (Billing Code 99212-CG) has a "Medicare-Approved Amount" = $145.30. Does Medicare take a dim view of MDs assessing a monthly/annual membership fee aside from Medicare's approved amount for a quota of a physician's time with a Medicare patient?
    I’m on Medicare. I have a direct patient care membership (If you want to call it that. )

Very simply, the doctor doesn’t bill Medicare for her time or for any in-office procedures and tests. Her time is not a factor in the insurance game.

I've been interested in this since the last time we discussed it long ago..........

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I've been interested in this since the last time we discussed it long ago..........
    So to elaborate and give an examples: my doctor or her tech draws blood for a complete blood count test. There’s no charge for that or anything her office incurs in that procedure.

She sends it off to a lab. The lab bills my Medicare for reading the blood and reporting back to my doctor.

my doctor does an ?Ultrasound? In her office with her own equipment. It was a procedure on my chest a few years ago when I had a rash and an obvious cyst. I knew it was a cyst, she knew it was a cyst, but ya gotta check that out if it’s anywhere near breast tissue. That was not charged. She sent me to the local hospital have a mammogram 10 minutes later and that of course was charged to my insurance.

If I had a dog bite of minor proportions I would go into her office and she would sew it up. There would be no charge for that.

I have not had inoculations in her office, so I’m not sure if she charges for the drug itself or what exactly.

She also does dispense medication from her office if I choose to buy it there. That means I pay her directly for the medication and yes there is a charge for that. It might be cheaper than running it through my insurance, I really haven’t compared because my drug costs are not very much.

Thread Information