Thread: Time to make it official...

Time to make it official...

I've never pursued a particularly unfrugal life, or a conventionally materialistic one...

I mean, Mother's side of the family is from rural New Brunswick, and Father's was out of Cape Breton, and Maritimers do frugality without more than half thinking about it.

As did most settlement northerners from the Eastern Arctic, through the '60s and '70s, when we lived there. Think high, high costs, and not a lot of cash.

And I would say I got a hard, LOUD wake-up call about pursuing minimalism while cleaning up after my mother, as her executrix, back in 2003.

But it's having started over as a new homeowner in the fall of 2015, an estimated 3 years out from what I'm still hoping to make retirement at age 60, that has me thinking it's time to make both frugality and minimalism higher priorities in my life.

Especially now that I'm getting into projects like insulating a 100% un-insulated basement, having a dubiously DIY'd basement bathroom reworked, and replacing a deteriorating back deck, all before I retire. Retirement might be by age 62-63, instead...

This seems like a good place to pursue ideas and learn.

Greetings!

Hello and welcome!

DH was born in NB and we spent a lot of time there with his family so I know what you are talking about. Frugality is about choices not denial and choosing to have some money for retirement is a really good motivator.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Welcome MsPlush! I look forward to our future discussions and I wish you success with your challenges!

Thank you, all! I'll be around...tomorrow the basement gets its electrical makeover, and I get serious about looking to pay that down, fast.

Welcome from Ontario MsPlush!

Thread Information