Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna

Most canned tuna contains soy! You would think these companies wouldn't use that since it causes problems for people with gluten sensitivities. I don't have that problem but I don't like paying for soy when I want tuna!

I am sure it is in most frozen fish too, including non-battered or flavored varieties.

No, I can't buy fresh fish in my region, and even if I could, it might have been injected or treated with something to keep it pretty and odor-free.

Pure soy is gluten free. What product are you trying to discuss?

Some tuna is packed in soy oil, which I try to avoid--I usually get water pack. And some add "natural flavors," which could be anything..

Hmm...Label reads "light tuna, water, vegetable broth and salt" I'd be willing to bet the soy is in the vegetable broth. Probably just a trace amount of soy sauce or something. Gluten comes only from wheat and its relatives, soy has none.

I think maybe the confusion on the gluten comes from the fact that some soy sauce is made with wheat?

When in doubt, rinse it off. If you have celiac disease, do your research as to which brands contain gluten, if any.

I always buy the water packed. So, when you say "most canned tuna" I wonder? I usually buy my Tuna from Costco, and it's chicken of the sea chunk light...it says it's gluten free. I always hear that the Italian or Spanish oil packed ones are much more delicious. I don't know...I'll have to try sometime...but the domestic oil packed ones I've tried tasted so greasy.

I read that soy bothers some folks with gluten problems. Yes it is water packed tuna.

I rinse off veg before cooking and drain the liquid from canned tuna. I might have to start rinsing it too.

Tuna also has a lot of mercury in it too and the meat of a lot of wild fish has plastic microbeads in it. Farmed raised fish and shrimp live in disgusting conditions and shrimp that is farmed from China has most likely been fed pig feces. I don't eat any because I am vegan, but my husband has stopped eating a lot of it because of the above.

You might be buying tuna canned in oil, if so you might want to try the type I am not sure if it says canned in water or exactly what it says but it is not canned in oil...chris

I rinse it with warm water. I have read it somewhere aside from what is mentioned in this thread.

Thread Information