Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rep and Dem indivisible groups

I like Jane's plan. People will always sneak over the border if they can't feed their families. I understand that you were hurt by identity theft but I feel a greater compassion for people in truly desperate circumstances. It is probably why I spent my career in human services and now teach SW students.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Wouldn't just issuing guest worker cards to all the people just trying to earn an honest living be the easiest way to deal with this "problem?" We have work for them to do, they pay taxes, they contribute to the economy, so I'd say deport the criminal element, issue ID cards to the rest, and be done with it. Of course, that doesn't silence the xenophobes, but you can't please everybody.
    Or even try.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Wouldn't just issuing guest worker cards to all the people just trying to earn an honest living be the easiest way to deal with this "problem?" We have work for them to do, they pay taxes, they contribute to the economy, so I'd say deport the criminal element, issue ID cards to the rest, and be done with it. Of course, that doesn't silence the xenophobes, but you can't please everybody.
    I would go one step further, and in addition to allowing people who register to work here on a temporary basis would use system capabilities we already have to prevent undocumented workers from being employed in the first place. If it's more difficult or impossible to get work after coming here illegally, you remove a major incentive to break our laws.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Went to our congressman's open house. He spoke but no one could hear him then he walked through the crowd talking to people. I disagree with the man but told him he had a lot of courage and thanked him for listening. About 75 of us walked to his office, where there is limited parking, many more met us there. There were about ten Trump supporters standing in front of the door he was to come out of with their arms folded across their chest blocking us. It was foolish, because he just came out and started to speak, then walked past them into,the crowd. What did they think a bunch of old ladies and men were going to do?

So so I think it went well, he was not like no show Marco Rubio, the coward who said he would not face hostile crowds. There was a group who had a big banner "republicans against Trump". There was some rude shouting on both sides. Interesting there was a local pastor who told us he came out in support after eight years of that "abomination "Obama. Now this congressman believes no adult should get any help,with medical costs, no Medicaid for adults at all (like stuff has no possibility of ever happening to get you in a pickle and you might need temporary help). He does not believe in free lunch for kids but also does not believe in funding planned parenthood for birth control and routine women care. Also, every illegal, regardless of how long they have been here should be out. How can a pastor think these views are Christian? I don't get it.

I am am glad I went. Groups showing up all over the country, making phone calls and so on can slowly chip away to break down these very far right views.

Oh, the crowd was average age sixties, only a few people of color out of several hundred.