Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Papers, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    It seems like a good example of something that has worked out pretty well here, but might not somewhere else, as in a state's rights.

I still am expecting at some point in places as Colorado, or California, some federal bust and claims made, tying up the money, while the states rights, verses federal rights thing, goes through courts. (after all seizing bank accounts is a bigger headache, then seizing cash that couldn't be banked, due to drug laws)

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I read the beginnings of this thread and clicked on the news link and what can I say? I have been working a lot lately as it is peak banquet season and I am over my illness and I think I've been working even more than I normally would as so many things are happening in this country and at such a rapid fire pace that cause me great fear that I've been working more to save every last penny against whatever calamities may fall this country and also to try to keep myself occupied due to my fear of Trump/Turbo Charged Capitalism/Issues Having Taken Place Since Trump Was Sworn In. Given that I'm a moderator here I have to keep myself (somewhat) in line and I've been lurking more than posting for awhile as I found myself unable to stay within acceptable behavior for a moderator. To the OP, all I'm going to say is I'm very afraid for the future of America, and for all of us. My only advice - money saved, two bags packed, and a plan to flee. I can't read the future but what I'm seeing now does not inspire hope or faith in me. Thankfully I have my mother who totally agrees with me, and my husband and in laws (all Mexican nationals, all here legally) that see things this way, too. And thankfully I live in the infamous "85006" where most everyone is going to see the wisdom in my advice, too.

All the above helps as I find this country so divided in those instances I step out of the 85006 for anything other than work - I may be very opinionated but even I get that an employer is temporarily renting my labor and not my opinions/political viewpoint so I keep it zipped in the workplace. But I have run across several instances lately that really make me think this country is in for hard times as I believe America is now too divided for bridges to be created between the opposing sides/points of view. My fondest wish is that California does separate from the US - it would be a possible chance for those who don't fit into America very well (such as myself) to start over in a more liberal friendly nation.

I can't change anything but I can try to be a sane voice of reason - such as when I tried to talk some neighbors out of engaging in violent acts at a protest in Tempe (a suburb) - violence solves nothing, I firmly believe this. I can save money as best I can and I can drop all pretense of a future in America - right now I'm filling space and saving money as much as I can. Also I'm trying to see to it that my Mother's later years are fairly smooth and not full of stress. But I no longer even am agitating for a future here - I no longer have hope that such is possible in the United States and under the current social and political climate. For those reading this shaking their heads and not getting it - I have one non-aggressive, non snarky news flash for you - I am far from the only one out there who thinks/believes/feels this way. I'm far from isolated in this. Rob

PS Came back to add that here's a positive spin that just came to me - should California exit, it would be a chance for those in California for whom liberalism doesn't work to move to the US and live in a more conservative friendly climate. Seriously, maybe overall California separating would be a GOOD thing.....though I still can't realistically see it happening. What does give me a trace of hope is that every day Trump remains in office carrying on in his current manner means more and more Californians moving towards psychologically wanting to break free from the United States. So.....ironically enough, perhaps Mr. Trump might end out giving me something that works for me - a chance to start over in another country without a great deal of hassle. Who knows?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm very grateful that Phoenix is not within the 100 miles this applies to. Though I am doing absolutely nothing the government could get me for, I still feel as if I've dodged a bullet by ending out outside of this zone. My question, however, is this: How much longer until this zone, due to government overreach, constitutes the entire United States? Anyone want to place bets that this changes before Trump's time in office is over? Rob

It looks like the feds could "police state" the bluest part of blue states pretty effectively under the guise of "protecting our borders". I hope it does not come down to that.

How long has the 100 mile zone existed?

Far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    How long has the 100 mile zone existed?
    1953. I think the practice of not stopping enforcement right on the painted border line predates that significantly.

2008 however is the first time the people of my county were consistently herded into barbed-wire enclosures while travelling.

I think I see where this is going...

"Bannon says that the post-World War II political and economic consensus is failing and should be replaced with a system that empowers ordinary people over coastal elites and international institutions." (Washington Post)

"Papers please," indeed.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 2-26-17 at 3:39pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I think I see where this is going...

"Bannon says that the post-World War II political and economic consensus is failing and should be replaced with a system that empowers ordinary people over coastal elites and international institutions." (Washington Post

"Papers please," indeed.
    Upcoming - my on-the-ground research report from The Channel Islands :-)

Thread Information