Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars: your picks and predictions

I had no interest in watching the Academy awards, but I did see the problem at the end on the news with Best Picture. OMG......how awful. I was thinking it was because of the presenters being so old........but it wasn't their faults at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Well, I see the accounting profession got another high profile black eye, Way to go, Price Waterhouse Cooper.
    Geez, can't they even read the envelope before handing it to Warren Beatty and blowing THE BEST PICTURE?? Why couldn't they have blown Best Make-up or something? I felt bad for Warren Beatty.. he clearly knew something was wrong, but then Faye just jumped the gun.

What a disaster! But the producers were very gracious.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I think Jimmy Kimmel said "We should have had Steve Harvey read this!"
    Oh man. What a horrible thing to have to announce. Like I said, I only watched the news report of this and didn't watch any of the show......but I did wonder why Beatty sort of hesitated. He no doubt knew that it was supposed to be Moonlight, but what should he have done?......stopped and asked them backstage if that was right? It was definitely a toe curling thing.........I don't want to see it again.
    So....everybody gave back their Oscars? Oh man.......what a screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I think Jimmy Kimmel said "We should have had Steve Harvey read this!"
    Oh man. What a horrible thing to have to announce. Like I said, I only watched the news report of this and didn't watch any of the show......but I did wonder why Beatty sort of hesitated. He no doubt knew that it was supposed to be Moonlight, but what should he have done?......stopped and asked them backstage if that was right? It was definitely a toe curling thing.........I don't want to see it again.
    So....everybody gave back their Oscars? Oh man.......what a screw up.
    He didn't know it was supposed to be Moonlight. Apparently, Pricewaterhouse provides TWO sets of envelopes. The accountant stands in the wings and hands the presenter the envelope as the presenter is going onstage.

In this case, the accountant in the wings handed Warren Beatty the SECOND envelope for Best Actress instead of the Best Picture envelope. So Warren opens the envelope, realizes something is weird, because it says "Emma Stone" and that's why he looked puzzled at Faye. Faye thought he was just clowning around, but from her vantage point, she looked at the card and just saw "La La Land" so that's what she announced. If she had looked closer, maybe there would have been time for her and Warren to realize they had the wrong envelope. She should have worn her glasses.. Poor Warren is catching the blame on this!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I dont watch Oscars, but I had to look this scene up on Youtube. What would I do without youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I felt bad for Warren Beatty.. he clearly knew something was wrong, but then Faye just jumped the gun.
    Agreed, from the clip I saw this morning, Clyde obviously knew something was amiss, and Bonnie simply read what was on the card.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    He didn't know it was supposed to be Moonlight. Apparently, Pricewaterhouse provides TWO sets of envelopes. The accountant stands in the wings and hands the presenter the envelope as the presenter is going onstage.

In this case, the accountant in the wings handed Warren Beatty the SECOND envelope for Best Actress instead of the Best Picture envelope. So Warren opens the envelope, realizes something is weird, because it says "Emma Stone" and that's why he looked puzzled at Faye. Faye thought he was just clowning around, but from her vantage point, she looked at the card and just saw "La La Land" so that's what she announced. If she had looked closer, maybe there would have been time for her and Warren to realize they had the wrong envelope. She should have worn her glasses.. Poor Warren is catching the blame on this!
    Thanks for clarifying that for me catherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Agreed, from the clip I saw this morning, Clyde obviously knew something was amiss, and Bonnie simply read what was on the card.
    Must have been that traitor C.W. in the wings.

Williamsmith
    Warren Beaty's diversity lecture is circumstantial evidence that leads to a reasonable inference proving the fact that he knew -as in was leaked to him- that "Moonlight" had won the Oscar. Otherwise, his confusion can not be explained. His reluctance to make the announcement and search for what he was expecting but didn't arrive is consistent with foreknowledge. Much like finding snow in the yard in the morning proves it snowed last night even though you were asleep and never saw a snowflake fall from the sky.

Im not saying that someone set the Academy up to deliver a whopper of an embarrassment but it sure worked out that way. I think we need an investigation by Colombo.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Otherwise, his confusion can not be explained.
    I think Catherine explained it pretty well.

It's generally a mistake to attribute to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity.

Thread Information