Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars: your picks and predictions

The Oscars: your picks and predictions

So what's yours?

Best picture:
    My pick: Moonlight
    Prediction: La La Land
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

LaLa land will get best pic. I would love to see Moonlight get it. Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea, were my favorite films of the year. I saw them within the same 24 hour period and that was some heavy stuff!

The only other Oscar I am sure of is Denzel Washington. He will win Best Actor for Fences. August Wilson's dialogue is difficult, and he did a wonderful job with it.

The film Fences itself is powerful because the material is powerful, but I dont think it gains anything in moving from stage to film.

The only one I've seen is Lion and Manchester by the sea. None of them really called to me to go and see.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    LaLa land will get best pic. I would love to see Moonlight get it. Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea, were my favorite films of the year. I saw them within the same 24 hour period and that was some heavy stuff!
    I loved them both. This is the first year I have seen so many of the best pic nominees. All but Lion and I'm seeing that Saturday. I did love La La Land a lot and it was my pick until I saw Moonlight. But then... wow. Moonlight blew me away.

More picks...

Best Actor
    My pick: Casey Afleck (Manchester)
    Prediction: Denzel (Fences)

Best Supporting Actor
    My pick: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)
    Prediction: Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

Best Actress
    Pick: Amy Adams (Arrival)
    Prediction: Streep (because she's Streep)
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Note on Mahershala Ali...

My son met him. He his a graduate of Saint Mary's in California and graduated a couple of years before my son. He used to come out and hang out at the campus on occasion while my boy was in school. He was an impressive guy even back then.

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    Note on Mahershala Ali...

My son met him. He his a graduate of Saint Mary's in California and graduated a couple of years before my son. He used to come out and hang out at the campus on occasion while my boy was in school. He was an impressive guy even back then.
    Yes, he has an awesome screen presence. He was in many episodes of House of Cards.

I heard a radio interview with him where he talked ablut hs conversin to Islam 17 yars ago and how atbdidnt go over so well with his mother, a Christian preacher. But now they are all ok and the details of each religion dont matter much, he said.

His father is/was also an actor, on Broadway.

he is also in Hidden Figures, I guess, thoguh I have nit seen it.

This is a hige year doe African American actors, films, documentaries. Last year there was lots of wailing and complaints about the lack of color on films at the OscArs. This year is super strong in that regard.

He's absolutely awesome in the Luke Cage Netflix series. Plays an outstanding villain.

I liked Hidden Figures, but it could (and should) have been so much better and more powerful.

The Oscars seems to be a major event in the USA, and my sister in Australia also thinks its noteworthy. Here in the Uk, most people don't seem to care!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    The Oscars seems to be a major event in the USA, and my sister in Australia also thinks its noteworthy. Here in the Uk, most people don't seem to care!
    I don't think I've seen an awards ceremony of any kind on TV in at least 20 years and would be surprised if I'm too far out of the mainstream.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think I've seen an awards ceremony of any kind on TV in at least 20 years and would be surprised if I'm too far out of the mainstream.
    We love the Oscars. We do a bing watch of the nominees and then we do a family pool to pick the winners. This year, unfortunately, I'm WAY behind. DS has offered to give us his flash drive with all the movies on it. I'm dying to see LaLa Land and Manchester by the Sea. Lion also looks really good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information