Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Oscars: your picks and predictions

I haven't see LaLa Land, but so far I'm pulling for Manchester by the Sea. Sort of dark but the characters, actors, and scenes were very believable and it was a good story about every day people and kept my attention. Hacksaw Ridge was actually an excellent movie and maybe will get something for special effects or music, but tried to make up for a simple predictable plot with long gory battle scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    The Oscars seems to be a major event in the USA, and my sister in Australia also thinks its noteworthy. Here in the Uk, most people don't seem to care!
    I think maybe I've seen one Brit awards show in my life, so I guess it goes both ways.

ETA: BAFTA! That was it. Couldn't recall the name.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

I have pretty much seen every movie/performance in consideration. Every Tuesday night is $5 movie night with $1 popcorn at the local owned theatre. I like cheap popcorn, so I go to the movies.

I am also about as far away from Hollywood geographically and philosophically as one can get. So I will determine what and who should get the Oscar by picking against my favorite.

Last year was #OscarsSoWhite. That and Trumps immigration blizkrieg will ensure actors of color and diverse religions nearly sweep. And the Academy added 683 new members nearly half women and people of color.

Yes, I am predicting that white privilege will be temporarily held in abeyance. Forgive me if you are uncomfortable with all these racial overtones.......afterall, a performance should just be a performance right?

Best Picture
    Should be: La La Land
    Prediction: Moonlight

A movie about a gay African American boy in urban Miami is a slam dunk upset. In the year of the Cat.

Best Actor
    Should be: Casey Affleck
    Prediction: Denzel Washington

A movie that was literally filmed in one tiny location - inside and outside of a house on the North Side of Pittsburgh in the shadow of the US steel building......I can live with that.

Best Actress
    Should be: Isabelle Huppert
    Prediction: Emma Stone

Im going to throw all caution aside and say that her visit to Seb's Jazz Club five years after her departure to France and the last look back at her old lover Sebastian...will not go unrewarded. Hollywood loves big productions.

Best Supporting Actor:
    Should be: Lucas Hedges
    Prediction: Mahershala Ali

A nod to a name that sounds quite diverse.

Best Supportig Actress
    Should be: Michelle Williams
    Prediction: Viola Davis

Davis' emotional dressing down of her cheating husband in the backyard complete with sweat, tears and projectile saliva.....was Oscar Worthy.

Best Director
    Should be : Damien Chazelle
    Prediction: Barry Jenkins

La La Land was a tour de force and wonderfully directed.
    But well........his first name is Barry

Best Original Screenplay
    Should be: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
    Prediction: Kenneth Lonergan - Manchester by The Sea

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Should be: Barry Jenkins - Moonlight
    Prediction : August Wilson - Fences

Best Cinematography
    Should be : Linus Sandgren - La La Land
    Prediction: Greg Fraser - Lion

La La Land should win everything related to music awards. Best Original Score and Song.

SEE YOU AT THE MOVIES

Quote Originally Posted by The Storyteller View Post
    So what's yours?

Best picture:
    My pick: Moonlight
    Prediction: La La Land
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't think I've seen an awards ceremony of any kind on TV in at least 20 years and would be surprised if I'm too far out of the mainstream.
    I read years ago that these award shows get high network ratings, so thats why they continue to broadcast the boring drek.

The only shows I ever enjoyed were a couple years of the Golden Globes where they show both tv and film people. There are far fewer long speeches, stupidly dull dance/music productions, and tribute segments. Those were the dayd when Ricky Gervais hosted and the writing of the show was sharp.

i cant stand the Academy Awards shows, over all. And with recent emergence of high quality television productions swamping the big screen, it makes Hollywood's obsession with themselves even more irrelevant.

I agree about the television shows, especially some of the ones released on Netflix etc. like house of cards, etc., the original content has really changed the industry and been the wave of the future.
    The movies seem so formulaic in comparison.

Maybe this will be the year that is a true signal of the downward spiral of Hollywood. We will look back at 2016 films and say "there were a fair number of decent films, and a couple of rare perfection. But Hollywood gave the Oscar to the one that was a homage to themselves, the throwback musical that mimics their 1940's glory days. That, rather than recognizing the simple purity of film that was Moonlight, the modern choice."

Or maybe the political aspect of the Moonlight director's background really WILL make a difference. Hope thats not the reason why Moonlght will not het Best Picture.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe this will be the year that is a true signal of the downward spiral of Hollywood. We will look back at 2016 films and say "there were a fair number of decent films, and a couple of rare perfection. But Hollywood gave the Oscar to the one that was a homage to themselves, the throwback musical that mimics their 1940's glory days. That, rather than recognizing the simple purity of film that was Moonlight, the modern choice."
    Well said.
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

I predict we will see a sort of well dressed Democratic National Convention, with plenty of virtue-signalling lectures about inclusivity from a big room surrounded by security.

I think IL is right about where the real creative juices are flowing. Like many institutions, Hollywood is reaching it's peak of preening self-importance during a period of steep decline.

Well, I see the accounting profession got another high profile black eye, Way to go, Price Waterhouse Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Well, I see the accounting profession got another high profile black eye, Way to go, Price Waterhouse Cooper.
    And my predictions are entirely wrong, as always. But I am happy for the (final) results.