Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: February Frugals!

February Frugals!

Wow, Feb 7th and no Frugals thread, what a bunch of slackers we are! I don't have anything epic to share, but I did want to get the ball rolling. We came in within budget on groceries this week, which is always do-able (I set a pretty generous budget) but we still fail all too often.
    I spent yesterday with my sister and we went to some stores, but all I spent was $2.50 on used books at the library (I donated a few while I was there as well, two books in and 3 books out so I'm ahead on that equation).
    DH loves Monopoly (which his DW does not) and he was recently lamenting the fact that he never, ever gets to play. I told him I would play it with him some day, and he said, "well don't wait too long, I'm in my fifties and not getting any younger you know!" I was helping my sister go through some of her stuff yesterday and she had a Monopoly game in the closet. I brought it home and played a game with DH last night and he was so pleased! So that was frugal fun (I actually kind of enjoyed it since I hadn't played in about 20 years) and it saved me from buying a set. That's a good example of something that can be shared among households, since it would probably be a pretty rare family who is using their monopoly set all the time.

We just sold our 2008 jeep and bought a 2013 volt. We don't drive a lot so our jeep had low miles and held its value. We have $4000 left over to invest in index funds, and our fuel bill will now be about 20-25% of what it was before. And my husband and I share this one car - he walks a few blocks to work and I drive two miles to work.

(We can charge at no cost in our apartment's parking garage.)

It's been enforced frugality lately, since one of my employers just decided to start paying us nearly two weeks later than usual, which REALLY messes with our cash flow. We've dealt with it by postponing purchases, shopping in our pantry and freezer, and finding temporary work-arounds.

For example, I really wanted a plant for my desk--I work at home and desperately need some greenery for visual and mental relief. I ended up starting a cutting from an existing succulent, which I can transplant into an old pot I have in the garage. Not the plant I wanted, but something's better than nothing!

Eating at home. Working on the freezer and the pantry. Zero food waste? Not quite-had to toss 1 meal's worth of salad mix that was getting slimy.

Yesterday I ate a protein bar for breakfast-I have no idea how long it's been in the pantry.....then I thawed 3 bricks of beef broth that were collecting "freezer ice" and made barley beef soup using up the dregs of green onions and celery in the fridge as well as several cups of chopped carrots. Add some sourdough bread/butter and called it dinner!

Lunches this week are leftover jasmine rice from last week mixed with freshly cooked black beans and our homemade salsa.

I've got a few mandarin oranges left in the fruit bowl that have now aged to hard skins. That generally means they no longer taste good either. I'll take them for a morning snack and see if my theory is right or wrong.

Tonight dinner will be roasted broccoli (getting old) and carrots with grilled salmon. AND some more of that sourdough bread/butter.

Gardnr: often that citrus still has decent juice potential. DH often juices our past prime citrus - his wife is too lazy

Tonight's dinner was rice and black-eyed peas.
    Been eating a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches this month.

I'm about to use some sourdough bread for french toast. Bought the bread on Monday?

Yum french toast! I am totally into waffles lately.

Dinner was more of the aging sourdough. Toasted it, schmeared with pesto and topped with 3d old BBQ salmon and some fresh baby greens. Fabulous!!!

Thread Information