Thread: monthly paycheck, back of the fridge challenge!

monthly paycheck, back of the fridge challenge!

Getting paid only one time a month is rough, I have been doing this a long time so I know the drill. I still have not been great at predicting the ENTIRE month, of course. This month I had 2 long drives to visit people, a couple small gifts, and a great deal on clothing I couldn't pass up. A lot of fun, but pushing the end of the month. I have $50 put every month in a second checking account with a debit card so I don't spend it however it is good to have in case I need gas or groceries the last few days. I have never spent all $50 so I am saving up a little.

I have lots of good food, only me to worry about feeding, and a nice long weekend with no obligations. So let's see what I can cook!

Thats an awesome thread Zoe girl. I may not be far behind you with getting paid twice a month (first half doesnt count as that goes towards mainly mortgage -big chunk). The second half is for food and bills. It has to last a whole month. I finally got a budget going because the food bill usually if its not planned I get in trouble. I like the extra amount put to the side. With a baby now being 18 months we are more settled with what the expenses will be. My challenge is put aside and not spend!

Hi Sylvia,

I have not been here in a long time...congratulations on the addition of another child to your family...nice to see you here!

Oh wow!
    This these maybe a lifesaver,I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out a budget.
    If its OK,I'd like to give my figures and expenses and ask for advice.
    I collect 1179.00 in Social Security survivors benefits and 89.25 from a pension that my husband had.The death benefit on that was half his amount.
    My expenses:350.00 rent,186.00 electric(heat),113 car insurance(the car was bought with cash from a small settlement,I got last year),30.00 cellphone,120.00 cable and internet,20.00 health insurance,12.00 prescriptions.
    This totals just over 800 a month.
    I'm all over the place with food,I really dont enjoy cooking and I spend a significant amount on take-out.
    Though I don't mind fixing simple things.
    I also have the care and feeding of my 2 Kitty's.
    I can easily cut the Time-Warner bill by just keeping the internet?
    I'm concerned about my upcoming medicare benefit,I'm 62 now so I'd like to get a fairly stringent benefit in place now so I won't be eating cat food in a few years...
    Heartful thanks for all your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by gmpg54 View Post
    Oh wow!
    This these maybe a lifesaver,I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out a budget.
    If its OK,I'd like to give my figures and expenses and ask for advice.
    I collect 1179.00 in Social Security survivors benefits and 89.25 from a pension that my husband had.The death benefit on that was half his amount.
    My expenses:350.00 rent,186.00 electric(heat),113 car insurance(the car was bought with cash from a small settlement,I got last year),30.00 cellphone,120.00 cable and internet,20.00 health insurance,12.00 prescriptions.
    This totals just over 800 a month.
    I'm all over the place with food,I really dont enjoy cooking and I spend a significant amount on take-out.
    I also have the care and feeding of my 2 Kitty's.
    I can easily cut the Time-Warner bill by just keeping the internet?
    I'm concerned about my upcoming medicare benefit,I'm 62 now so I'd like to get a fairly stringent benefit in place now so I won't be eating cat food in a few years...
    Heartful thanks for all your advice!
    The one area most people have the best control over is food spending.

simply, learn to cook low cost meals. Take out is a budget buster. You dont even have to "cook" much, but you will have to prepare foods and expand your menu. Wh dog you get take out, is it from food boredom? If you are not working and have all day, there is really no excuse for not making lots of meals at home. Sorry!

Your rent is low, that is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Tussiemussies View Post
    Hi Sylvia,

I have not been here in a long time...congratulations on the addition of another child to your family...nice to see you here!
    Yes, and nice to see YOU here, too, Tussiemussies!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmpg54 View Post
    It's great that you don't mind simple cooking! That's a great base to start from.

One thing that can be really helpful to avoid takeout is having some foods you like in your freezer (and the frig freezer's fine for this) ready to heat and eat. I often make twice as much lentil loaf as the recipe says and freeze an extra loaf... same with chili and soup, which I freeze in meal-size portions.

Another thing that can save some money is having some of the components of favourite take-out meals to hand, purchased much less expensively than take-out. At our house, for instance, we're 90% vegetarian/vegan but we do eat fish sometimes... with fish and chips a particular budget downfall. I sometimes buy frozen breaded fish and cook that when we feel like takeout -- it and a salad doesn't take any longer than driving to the restaurant to pick up the takeout and costs about less than 20% as much. (Frozen fish approximately $12 for a bag that lasts us at least three meals... takeout fish and chips is about $40.) We have frozen veggie burgers too, and we often make burritos in a big batch and freeze them for takeout-style meals.

I also am paid once monthly. I do ok. Often times getting into bare double digits a few days before payday. I'm never OUT of food or necessities, but often am out of things I might WANT. Like, perhaps the last of the yogurt or bread is gone and I'm a few days out. Some months I make it, others I have to "borrow" from myself a bit. Weekend cooking is the usually the only reason I have dinner to eat. I hate cooking after a day of really high behaviors and then paperwork and home visits.

Hi Tussiemussies! Good to hear from you too! Thank you for thinking of me. I would like to highly recommend a traditional read you can look up , as simple as it gets "The Richest Man in Babylon". This short pamphlet/ short story solidified personal finance. In the end it says; Save 10% ( in 10 years you will have saved your annual income, pay off debt using 20% of your monthly income and the rest of the budget is 70% to spend. Now I had to make changes to be able to save the 10 % regularly. If you pay off all debt , why not use the 20 % with the 10% to make it 30! Wow that would be incredible. So I follow this easy guideline to get me set up with my budget. It also talks about investing. Another great read is "The Millionaire next door".This speaks about having an annual budget and knowing your spending in an annual amount. This helps get the big while living below my means. Right now baby wears thrift store finds and he eats well on Aldi food, no complaints. I want to add the biggest deal breaker is not setting aside money for emergencies, like the last few days before payday I run out of cash for food. If I had that extra cash in the house , I wouldnt have to use those darn credit cards.

Thread Information