Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White House Barring Mainstream News from briefings

White House Barring Mainstream News from briefings

Okay, it was only one briefing, but I am extremely disturbed by CNN and the NY Times being barred from a news briefing this week. Isn't the "news briefing" supposed to about "news" that the "news media" reports on? I am also disturbed that Trump has called the press "the enemy of the American people", and is trying to get away with calling legitimate and respected media "fake." Perhaps CNN and the NYT have a liberal bias, but they aren't fake and they don't make stuff up. They're more real than Breitbart. I strongly believe that an independant free press, along with universal education, is absolutely the bedrock foundation for a democracy. Trying to restrain the press is more frightening to me than anything else the current administration has done so far.

They make stuff up.

A more nuanced view is that mainstream media still owns the airwaves amd large distribution newspapers, picks 2 or 3 stories a day to hammer that are often tediously small things, and their headline summaries are almost always showing liberal bias.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-25-17 at 12:08pm.

I also agree with you that unversally accessible education, and a free press, are bedrock for the success of a strOng democracy.

The devil is in the details in defining what those things are.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    They make stuff up.

True, but it's still news in itself when they make up fake terror attacks and fake statistics.

Did the news report this story? As I have said before, they and Trump do feed each other.

Since they all seem suspect, I try to take in a variety of sources from news, including MSM, Internet sites, WikiLeaks, and best of all, communicating with those on the scene whenever possible. But everyone has a viewpoint, so you have to include many sources to arrive at something remotely plausible.

There is no free press when it's all owned by a few giant corporations. True there are always even worse alternatives (Brietbart).
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    They make stuff up.

A more nuanced view is that mainstream media still owns the airwaves amd large distribution newspapers, picks 2 or 3 stories a day to hammer that are often tediously small things, and their headline summaries are almost always showing liberal bias.
    I follow the NYT and Washington Post almost daily these days. They do pick up trivial issues and capitalize on them and that is a little annoying, but they do serve a purpose and are entitled to uninhibited press coverage without intimidation. At the least as much or more than the obscure alt-right Brietbart who was included in the briefing. I see some similarities between now and the Nixon administration and it was these two papers who were able to uncover Watergate.

They make up far less stuff than the present administration in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I follow the NYT and Washington Post almost daily these days. They do pick up trivial issues and capitalize on them and that is a little annoying, but they do serve a purpose and are entitled to uninhibited press coverage without intimidation. At the least as much or more than the obscure alt-right Brietbart who was included in the briefing. I see some similarities between now and the Nixon administration and it was these two papers who were able to uncover Watergate.

They make up far less stuff than the present administration in my opinion.
    I think Donald Trump exagerates more than does the NYT, I'll give you that. But the NYT is highly selective in what it covers, and how. And given that every news outlooks looks each day to the NYT to take their content to disemminate, that is a more subtle yet equally problematic situation.,

Lord, how I miss Al Jazeera. Not that Trump and his unterfuhrer would have let them within a mile of their gaggle...
    But I'm confident that a small army of leakers will keep us informed 'til the rats are driven from this sinking ship.

Thread Information