Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White House Barring Mainstream News from briefings

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    I wonder where Al Jazeera would fit in this spectrum? Rob

Razz's idea of no press showing up...one side of me thinks that would be great and would make 45 crazy, but the other side fears they would then choose to never have access and say the press asked for it. You know how good they are at twisting everything. The main goal seems to be shutting down the press, so it might be playing right into the Bannon program.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Razz's idea of no press showing up...one side of me thinks that would be great and would make 45 crazy, but the other side fears they would then choose to never have access and say the press asked for it. You know how good they are at twisting everything. The main goal seems to be shutting down the press, so it might be playing right into the Bannon program.
    If this is true, that the main goal is shutting down the press, whatever slant said press might represent, then I truly have no hope for this country. This is how dictators entrench themselves - this is one of the steps. Don't believe me, I'm not the brightest and I'm certainly no genius, my only claim is that I can survive - but believe in history as history will bear this out. I can remember 42 years ago when I was 8 and I discovered that laws in the US are applied differently on the basis of skin color and social class and I can remember then thinking - something about this country just doesn't feel right.

Here I am 42 years later and not only does this not feel right, it's like a large flashing obnoxiously loud alarm going off that only some people can hear.....I guess I'm grateful that not only can I hear it, those closest to me and almost all I live close to can hear it, too. I hope this is not the start of upheaval of historical proportions but I'm not feeling much faith, I'm really not. Time will tell and it's up to all of us to react to this in the way that seems most appropriate.....no surprise to anyone I'm sure that my take is to prep to run. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    And, the BBC has had their press credentials for the White House removed!

Ho hum, your President, ANDBHIS press Secretary are officially NUMPTIES!
    I agree!

When reporting is in Trump's favor all is well and good. When not, it is fake news. Sheesh! It is said the first thing a dictator does is denounce the media. I heard some Republicans protesting as well. Some of the media that was allowed to cover the briefings also protested. Wish we could ban Trump from tweeting his fake news!!

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I agree!

When reporting is in Trump's favor all is well and good. When not, it is fake news. Sheesh! It is said the first thing a dictator does is denounce the media. I heard some Republicans protesting as well. Some of the media that was allowed to cover the briefings also protested. Wish we could ban Trump from tweeting his fake news!!
    why do you read the tweets if they bother you so much?

Befree's chart was interesting enough that I did a google image search on it. I'd not seen it before and it seems to have gone viral. The woman who is the originator went through a fairly objective process in it's design. I'd still quibble a few points about her selection criteria. I did not read all of it but enough to convince me it is a legitimate attempt to be accurate rather than something just cobbled together. It was an interesting discussion.
    http://www.allgeneralizationsarefalse.com/?p=65

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    why do you read the tweets if they bother you so much?
    I am extremely glad I don't use Twitter, Facebook or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    I loved this chart enough to visit the author's blog where she provides a well reasoned explanation of her placement of various news sources and explains that this may be an ongoing process. Here's the latest version.

"Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Speaking of fake news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3a8da76031e6

Who is Nils Bildt? Swedish ‘national security advisor’ interviewed by Fox News is a mystery to Swedes

The chart clearly has the NY Times and the BBC smack-dab in the middle of the most reliable, non-partisan news sources. The journalists in these organizations do not "make stuff up." Yet they were 2 of the groups denied access to press briefings. I agree with the poster who said other responsible, respected media shouldn't boycott the press briefings because then the current administration has even more control of whatever press continues to show up, since these will be the groups with the least journalistic integrity who will only ask soft questions, print whatever they are told to print, and not call the administration on their "alternative facts." Instead, I hope the journalists will always be sure there is at least one among them to say, "why does the administration want to censor ______, who they have not allowed into the press briefing today?" And then they should report on it, because that is news! (bad news for the U.S., anyway)

Thread Information