Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White House Barring Mainstream News from briefings

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think Donald Trump exagerates more than does the NYT, I'll give you that. But the NYT is highly selective in what it covers, and how. And given that every news outlooks looks each day to the NYT to take their content to disemminate, that is a more subtle yet equally problematic situation.,

IL, in your opinion, what national news print web site or publication does the best unbiased reporting of politics? I've looked through USA today and they really don't seem to have much investigative journalism and do not focus much on political details. I can't read the WSJ without paying a large amount to subscribe. No intention of offering an alternate opinion, I'm just curious.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I read the New York Times (we have a subscription) CNN, fox, al Jeezera and BBC online every morning every morning. I select only some articles obviously. It is amazing how often the same story is presented so differently by each network.

However they are all to to some extent fake news. These 24 hour news outlets have 24 hours of news to fill. Depending on what they want to emphasize you get over and over coverage of sometimes seemingly minor stories that would have just died a normal death. Along came the tea party and Obama and the polarization started. They filled a void which has gradually gained momentum. Donald came right into that void with his tweeting, name calling, and so on. No matter how much you love him you have to admit some of his statements and fixation on his landslide victory and the hugest ever crowds have been ridiculous. But I honestly think he knows exactly what he is doing. if you continue to demonize the opposizing news and call them the enemy of the people, more will believe it. If you say I am the greatest ever over and over it becomes embedded in people's minds.

DH subscribed to Donald's tweets for a few weeks to see what he was tweeting. You should see some of the stuff he tweets. Some people love it. There were days I found it preposterous self aggrandizing half truths.

People see see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

By the way, when I went to my town hall meeting yesterday then read the local paper reports it was like we were in two different places. They played up the few rude people who shouted out when in fact almost everyone was polite and respectful. I personally thanked him for speaking to us, he came right out into the crowd. He didn't really answer most of our questions but at least he showed up and interacted. The paper failed to mention the long Prayer to Jesus the almighty savior (this area has a large Jewish population) and the group holding a Republicans against Trump sign. But they are ultra conservative and it did not fit their news agenda.

And, the BBC has had their press credentials for the White House removed!

Ho hum, your President, ANDBHIS press Secretary are officially NUMPTIES!

Quote Originally Posted by IshbelRobertson View Post
    Ho hum, your President, ANDBHIS press Secretary are officially NUMPTIES!
    Here, here! A pair of NUMPTIES.

In my fantasy news world the main stream "fake news", should make a practice of just ignoring any twitter or tweet he makes. I think it just feeds his ego to see their reactions. They are less news and more brain farts.

Look, we live in a dystopia. This kind of thing was bound to happen.

Ishbel, have you seen this delicious send-up of Sean Spicer? A real tour de force.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWuc18xISwI

I agree rogar that ignoring 45's tweets and twitters would be productive. I like that news shows are starting to show facts after reporting stories about him. I don't know if all news outlets are doing this, but I noticed CBS evening news has. 24 hours news is such a disappointment. I foolishly thought it would mean in depth reporting but it is instead the same soundbites over and over. Again a reminder of the Andy Andrews book How do you kill 11 million people. Lie, lie, lie over and over and over until it is believed.

Is it possible that enough of the news media will work together so that a press briefing will be held and no media or too few actually show up?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    There is no free press when it's all owned by a few giant corporations. True there are always even worse alternatives (Brietbart).
    APN, here I could not possibly agree with you more. I do believe too that the media overall have a liberal slant - yes, this works for me personally, but I can see where it would not work for other people. When I was in Salzburg two years ago I was watching the English speaking Al Jazeera on cable and it was so refreshing - this was news with a non-American slant and it honestly gave both sides of the story (in my mind, anyway). I did not see a liberal or conservative slant to the few broadcasts I watched of Al Jazeera news. I wish we could have something like this in the US that was easily accessible to the masses. Rob

Thread Information