Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Year three of the elephant

I am mid-painting. Dh says to finish painting the kitchen area first because the cabinets were delivered this morning, and he has a bet with a friend at work who is also redoing his kitchen - whoever gets their cabinets hung first gets a $50 bottle of bourbon.

Geila
    Hi Chicken Lady - I'm impressed with your diligence. I'm on week 3 of projects and I'm already starting to fizz out. You're on year 3! Kudos!

Well, it is a very big project with lots of changes and variation. Also, if I quit now, I spend the rest of my life in an unfinished house paying $50 every six months for an inspection to keep the permit open (or I have to move out because the house is no longer "under construction" and does not qualify fully for "occupancy") so, there is some motivation.

Dh is unpacking the cabinets! Dh is unpacking the cabinets!

I'm not done painting by a long shot, but I'm done painting the kitchen bump out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Well, it is a very big project with lots of changes and variation. Also, if I quit now, I spend the rest of my life in an unfinished house paying $50 every six months for an inspection to keep the permit open (or I have to move out because the house is no longer "under construction" and does not qualify fully for "occupancy") so, there is some motivation.
    That occupancy permit thing is a pain in the ass.

My own neighborhood was develped by urban pioneers, young people with big vision but not much money, and they fixed up a room at a time in these old houses. Our neighborhood was exempt from the occupancy permit crap from Nanny Gubmnt. Out of about 60 neighborhoods here, only a handfull were exempt, and that was due to constant pressure on our alderman.

We went without electricity in half of our house for a couple of years. We had no staircase bannister for 20 years. Etc etc.

But a few years ago the city fathers decided all exemptions were over, and now we need occupancy permits here, too. It us unfortunate because it dies not allow people to live in unfinished spaces. Kills the pioneering spirit.

Too bad, because guess which neighborhood here is the strongest and most beautiful now due to those early pioneers--mine.

We can live here as long as we have functioning septic. But legally it is a construction site requiring a construction permit and it has to be inspected at least every 6 months. Some of the inspections are included in the original permit fee, so we have been spacing them out to avoid paying for extra ones. The hvac (which is done) has not been checked, nor has the incoming plumbing (which is not done). We had one thing that had to be "corrected" from the first electrical inspection (dh had to put wire nuts on the ends of all the wires - which he will have to remove when he hooks up the outlets) but they let us piggyback it on the drain line inspection so we did not have to pay $50 for a second electrical inspection.

i now understand the wire nuts - we just realized the drywall guys dry walled over an open outlet. (We found it with a strong magnet and cut a hole in the wall - then the drywall unbowed and one of the screws popped out. Sigh. It was a wall I had finished painting.

Ds was here for the weekend. He came back for his bachelor party, but he helped dh with the kitchen before it.

they have all the cabinets screwed together and to the walls! There are still a lot of trim, custom cuts for fixtures and appliances, and a drawer kit to do, but the basic structure is up!

We need to choose a sink and order it.

Cl, That's wonderful. You can see a finish line!

Did DH win the bet?

Not yet, he hadn't finished "installing"

Thread Information