Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Year three of the elephant

Year three of the elephant

Last night I had a two hour free design meeting with a really cool designer at Home Depot (if she doesn't love her job, acting would be a good alternative!).

The cabinets are going to be less than I thought - even full price - which is good. But dh and I are still in disagreement about a couple of significant details. Also, there is a sale on until March 5 that would save us almost $3,000, so I'm feeling a lot of pressure to buy. Otoh, she says they have sales fairly often (pressure not coming from designer) and we won't need the cabinets until fall.

dh is however, stalled on electric work until we finalize the design. (He needs to put in kitchen outlets, switches, and oven/cooktop wiring.)

i am am happy because there was a particular style of pantry cabinet that I really wanted, but I didn't have room for a full height 36" cabinet, and she found it in a 24"!

If you found the cabinets you want on sale I would buy them because they may not be available in the Fall. Their lines of merchandise do change. Great that they are less $ then you expected.

Yes, I agree with Teacher Terry, so many times I didn't buy when the time was right and lost out for good. Can your husband plan the electrical around what you will have?

He needs to know exactly what we will have, he doesn't need to have it.

i was just not set on the layout. It was nice, but too generic. Dh and I worked on it tonight and tomorrow I am going to make an appointment to go back in. We left one side wall and most of the back wall untouched, but changed the other side wall and a corner a lot. The designer is probably not going to like my corner. But maybe she will have fun telling crazy customer stories about me.

the new design (if it all checks out) has my 36" pantry, a stacking silverware drawer, and maybe a mail/grocery list/message board/charging&parking location for my iPad and phone. I expect it to be a little more expensive, but that will be ok. A lot more and the "message center" becomes a blank end cap instead of a shallow cupboard.

I came home from the meeting with two kitchen versions to show dh. We are going with version 2 except we are making one cabinet 3" narrower because I don't like how close the molding will be to our actual window (we custom made the window out of other windows, so the model was an approximation. Visually, the gap between molding and window frame would be too small.

no message board - it was also too tight and heavy looking - I don't want to give up any regular cabinet space on that side to keep it.

work today, but we will get things finalized and ordered by the end of the weekend. New kitchen layout is about $200 more with more bells and whistles. (Silverware drawer, turning a dead space into a drawer, less customization for dh to do on the oven cabinet, finish panels around the fridge frame)

last night we had a horrendous storm. My yard is still full of little streams. But:
    the streams are flowing away from the house.
    and the basement is bone dry.

before we started this, the basement would have had water halfway across the floor. In all that was left to do, I had forgotten the pleasure of a dry basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    last night we had a horrendous storm. My yard is still full of little streams. But:
    the streams are flowing away from the house.
    and the basement is bone dry.
    I hope you stay dry as the storm continues this morning. Thunder and lightning and hail, oh my!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Well, do far so good for us, but my dd had 10" of water in her garage (under the house, partly below ground) last night.

we ordered dh range hood tonight. Cabinet finalizing appointment is on Sunday.

We ordered the cabinets!

also picked out lights for the kitchen ceiling. Dh has most of the plug/switch boxes attached to studs, and we recaulked around the chimney where it was leaking slightly when we got both heavy rain and wind at once.

All the open electrical boxes are attached to the studs - outlets, fixtures, and switches. Two in the tall ceiling have wiring, temporary fixtures with bare bulbs, and a working switch. All of the fuses have been installed in the breaker box.

Yahoo!!! That elephant will be gone eventually.

Thread Information