Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Year three of the elephant

Part of the hearth materials have arrived. Dh and I both get paid today, he is going to pick up a microwave after work and then I will be cooking everything in the new kitchen.

i need to get some drawer liners so I can put the cast iron pans away in the drawers under the cooktop without beating up the drawer bottoms.

I took the old silverware divider to school for tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Part of the hearth materials have arrived. Dh and I both get paid today, he is going to pick up a microwave after work and then I will be cooking everything in the new kitchen.

That's a big milestone, congratulations!

I started lining the drawers last night. I found some old vinyl wall paper in my crafts stash, so not only free, but reducing the hoard in the basement a little too. Bit by bit....

Never finished those drawers, putting it on the shor5 list for today.

the big project for the weekend was disconnecting the woodstove we have, putting it on a custom built dolly, jacking it up over the step, and rolling it into the new space. Next weekend dh will clean and cap the old chimney and maybe start the hearth. Hopefully by the end of October the woodstove will be installed in the new space.

Dd and Dsil came over for dinner last night. Dh cooked in the new kitchen and then we had a fight about my dish system.

in other news, we rearranged the furniture some more. The bar is now in the “new den/old living room” and my “dragon cupboard” (a small glass cupboard that holds a collection of dragons) is in the corner where the piano used to be. It has been replaced at the bottom of the stairs by a bench. One small bookshelf is on it’s way to the basement. The whole room looks more open and inviting. The dragons are all over the place and I need to put them back in the cupboard today.

Dragons are put back, drawers are lined, pans are also put away.

The woodstove is installed in it’s new location. The old chimney is not closed off yet, but that is not required for the inspection. We are now “final inspection ready” dh will call on Monday.

Non required work remaining to do:
    Screened back porch isn't screened.
    Entry light is a bare bulb.
    one drawer is missing
    no floors
    no baseboards
    no door or window trim
    beams are not clad
    no whatever those grate things are called in the holes where air comes in or goes back
    ductwork for air return not enclosed
    transition from original house to new space is still an exterior door with a metal and plastic sill
    no exterior steps except to basement (using a long board with 2x4s nailed to it like a chicken ladder, a wooden box, and the too short old deck steps)
    still fine tuning yard grading so no grass or landscaping
    no rail or gate on basement stairs

Huge progress! final inspection ready sounds impressive!

It would look more “final” with trim and flooring, but that will have to wait.

we are going to start shopping today for the furniture we planned to have in the new space but do not own yet. Dh wants to have comfortable seating in place before all the holiday gatherings so people don’t have to sit in wooden dining room chairs. Which means we will use the line of credit, which means it won’t be paid off in March which means longer until the floor.

oh well, as we say in pottery “form follows function”....

We ended up buying a couch at ikea. Also a large kitchen cart/island (little island on wheels?) that dh is going to hack from parts from ikea and Lowe’s. We will add a loveseat and ottoman (same style, from ikea) in the near future. I have mixed feelings about this furniture, but dh likes it and it is functional and comfortable and reasonably attractive, and there have been many other areas of this project that I have felt strongly about, so I am just pushing the easy button on this one.

dh is going to call about the inspection this morning.

Yay! Enjoy the new sofa and your kitchen. Here's hoping the inspection goes well.

Thread Information