Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Year three of the elephant

The kitchen wiring is "done" (all the wires are in but they are not connected to the fuses nor are the switches/plugs on because it is easier to drywall with open boxes and open boxes can't be "hot")

this leaves the outlets and lights in the main part of the room and three exterior lights. Dh would have gotten a lot farther, but he was called in to work second shift on Saturday - at least the overtime will help with the 100ft of wire he says we still need to buy. Also I am grateful that he gets overtime.

He thinks he can finish the wiring next weekend. (Although I think he may have forgotten we have plans with dd2 on Saturday)

besides helping him feed wires this weekend, I found two Pyrex pans to put on the "ask kids" pile and used up some of the stockpiled soap making supplies. (I will be offering soap at my booth at the pottery sale at the end of April - because I have soap dishes and "related items" are allowed.)

Will the remodel be done by the end of year 3?

That would be nice....

i don't know. It will depend in part on how fast the drywall goes up. We haven't talked to anyone about installing that yet. So:
    electric, inspection, insulation, drywall, plumbing, inspection, painting, floors, cabinet and appliance install, choose and install light fixtures. Only the drywall is going to be hired out.

i am still resigned to the 5 year plan - when we got married, dh was halfway through his "last two years of school". He graduated 4 years and 4 months later and finally had a job three months after that. When it became clear that the addition was going to take more than two years, I asked "is this going to be the same two years it took you to finish school?" and he said "mmmmmaybe."

We just put a top coat of paint on our second floor hallway and middle room. We started this house in 1989...

Noooooooooooo........

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Noooooooooooo........
    It was once common here to live in houses that were 20-30 year projects. There were many young, enthusiastic but broke renovators of our old houses. . Now those old timers like me are aging out and are selling out to professional contractors who complete the job in a few months.

We originally bought this house in February 2002. We started gutting it that afternoon. We moved into the barn in March. We were able to move our furniture into the house in August. We have never stopped working on it - the hole in the drywall behind the headboard of our bed is patched but not taped. There is one bathroom left to gut and redo.

but I am still fantasizing about a completely finished addition by 2020.

My DH and a helper did our entire house in 3 1/2 months. My DH worked 7 days/week and the helper 5. We were not living in it. When young and poor we did a room every 2-3 years. By the time we had lived there 14 years the whole house was done and then we had to move for a job. Some of the run down houses in our neighborhood have been bought by young people and most of them take out a construction loan to have the inside done before moving in. I was surprised when I heard this.

Nobody knows how to do the work anymore.

The wiring is done. He calls tomorrow to schedule the inspection. He had one wire staple and almost ten feet of wire left over.

Thread Information