Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Address Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    That's certainly true in my case. I view Trump as a subspecies of Democrat. He's just a different variation on the government-as-savior act.
    I view Trump as a subspieces of human. Sorry, the devil made me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I did watch the whole thing and he had this weird look on his face most of the time. Someone wrote it for him and he managed for once to stay on script. He is creating an office for victims of immigrant crime. Yea, because we have so much of that-not! The navy seal's father refused to meet with Trump so he parades his widow and a severely disabled young woman because we all know how compassionate he is. The whole thing made me sick. On a positive note I was watching Rachel Maddox too and she said right now the Repubs don't have enough votes to repeal/replace the ACA. And the Donald is so surprised how complicated health care is?? Really???
    LOL about Trump saying he was surprised how complicated health care is. DH and I couldn't believe he said either! Well, actually, we could.
    It reminded me of George W. saying that sometimes he had to go into work on Saturday. And he kept saying "It's hard work!!" Like.......DUH!

I think the next 4-8 years are going to be great. I'm not a Trump fan, but with the other choice being Hillary, that's who we were left with.

Im more concerned with Supreme Court pics and getting rid of the corrupt Justice Department.

If prices need to go up to fill the jobs that illegals are now doing, why would that be such a bad thing? My sons business is already picking up a little work due to the new policy's. He is in the landscaping business. It's hard to compete if you hire legal residents and pay taxes etc.

and i thought his speech was fine, most here were not going to be happy regardless.

I think the reality is that if farmers had to raise the wages for picking fruit/vegetables to the point that American workers would be interested in the jobs the price of American fruits and vegetebles would probably rise to the point that they couldn't compete against imports. Other countries have plenty of dirt and cheaper workers.

I don't think agriculture can be competitive with wages enough to attract American workers, but other industries maybe could be (construction for one). If anyone actually wanted to have a real immigration policy we could have a discussion of this, but that's not the case.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I think the reality is that if farmers had to raise the wages for picking fruit/vegetables to the point that American workers would be interested in the jobs the price of American fruits and vegetebles would probably rise to the point that they couldn't compete against imports.
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't think agriculture can be competitive with wages enough to attract American workers,....
    Some years back, we decided to see about paying a living wage to the workers at our vineyard & winery. Doing so required doubling the price of the wine.

Sales increased, perhaps because people cared, perhaps because wine has a weird market and may be a Geffen or Veblen good to some of the purchasers.

Employee retention increased, productivity per worker increased. When the dust settled, we were doing more, with fewer workers, while making more profit.

This may not be the case for lettuce producers.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I think the reality is that if farmers had to raise the wages for picking fruit/vegetables to the point that American workers would be interested in the jobs the price of American fruits and vegetebles would probably rise to the point that they couldn't compete against imports. Other countries have plenty of dirt and cheaper workers.
    So your ok with paying illegal immigrants low wages if it keeps the price down.

back in the 70's I had some friends that detasaled corn and pulled Johnson grass for less than minimum wage. Do to being farmwork it was legal. They were high schoolers at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    So your ok with paying illegal immigrants low wages if it keeps the price down.

back in the 70's I had some friends that detasaled corn and pulled Johnson grass for less than minimum wage. Do to being farmwork it was legal. They were high schoolers at the time.
    Actually I'd prefer jane's suggestion of providing enough seasonal work permits to foreigners to fill the need. Seems a better plan than destroying the American agricultural segment entirely.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.252724968972

DMC: I can't believe you are comparing a mentally ill narcissistic with a person that understands how to work within government and has a ton of experience. WE are the laughing stock of the world right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    WE are the laughing stock of the world right now.
    Oh, I don't know about that, although I do get a good chuckle sometimes watching/hearing/reading both his comments and the responses they elicit. That's some funny stuff right there.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information